High school football: Duchesne steamrolls Rich with shut-out win
DUCHESNE — Duchesne (7-0) left no doubts that it is the top-ranked team in Class 1A with a dominating performance at home 42-0 over Rich (3-4).
The Eagles' strong senior class flexed its muscle early and often as it racked up a 35-0 halftime lead.
The only question for the second half was whether Duchesne's point total would go higher than the cold temperatures on the wet field.
Braiden Despain put the Eagles on the board with a 65-yard run on their first offensive possession.
A costly turnover on the Rich punt return team set Despain up for a short 5-yard score and a 14-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.
A hard run by Kaden Moon, who wouldn’t go down easily, set Duchesne up for its third strike. Despain cut to right side and 29 yards later found the end zone. The Eagles then mirrored their mascot by turning to the air as Shiaba Allen found McKade Nielsen in blown coverage for a 21-yard touchdown pass.
Trevon Spencer found himself on the end of Allen’s second touchdown toss from 23 yards out. Allen finished off the night with a 55-yard scamper.
As good as Duchesne’s offense looked the Eagles' defense was just as impressive holding the Rebel offense outside the redzone until the final possession of the game.
Duchesne will host Monticello (7-1) for its homecoming game on Friday, while Rich will host Diamond Ranch (5-3).
Duchesne hosts Rich
Highlights of the Duchesne Eagles and Rich Rebels
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last year and...
- The state of Utah's all-time NFL undrafted...
- Samuel Benson: Whatever happened to the...
- Morning links: Snow College 4-star OL...
- Dillon Robinson's career takes an unexpected,...
- Rock On: One more incentive to attend BYU
- Doug Robinson: What do BYU's low draft...
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in on NFL...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises... 101
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last... 68
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 52
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's... 50
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 48
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 43
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of... 36
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in... 25