CEDAR CITY A large landslide on state Route 14 early Saturday led to the popular, scenic roadway's closure.
The slide took place sometime before 5 a.m. in Cedar Canyon and took out actual pieces of the road, Utah Department of Transportation Region 4 spokesman Kevin Kitchen said.
"The slide is probably in excess of 1,000 feet down the roadway," he said. "Some of the asphalt and pavement has been taken down slope, toward the creek at the bottom of the ravine. Basically the road is totally impassable."
The slide was the second in the area this week, Kitchen said, as there was a smaller slide Thursday that led to scattered debris and a closure of several hours. Saturday's landslide spans from mile marker 5 to the junction of state Route 148 and state Route 14.
Kitchen said it could be four weeks before the roadway is reopened, in large part due to the damage it caused to the road. Geotechnical experts will evaluate the safety of the area, engineers will work out a solution and then the debris will be moved.
In the interim, Kitchen said motorists traveling between I-15 in Iron County and U.S. 89 in Garfield County should consider S.R 20, located south of Beaver, as an alternate route.
Those trying to reach homes in Duck Creek Village should take Long Valley Junction on U.S. Highway 89.
The road is often traveled as a scenic route between national parks and extends through Cedar Breaks National Monument.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 163
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17
- The ghosts under our feet: 88... 10
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence... 10