The Spartans don't look to be a pass-happy team, preferring to use a balanced approach in beating an opposing defense.
They average 200 yards per game through the air and will be looking to get the ball to sophomore Noel Grigsby, 5-11, 170. Grigsby is the team's play-maker and is someone who can torch an opposing defense with his speed.
"They have some fast guys for sure," observed cornerback Corby Eason. "They can beat you deep, they're quick and they're athletic, so we'll have to be ready for that."
Overall, the Spartans don't look to be much of a threat through the air. The Cougar defense should do fine in limiting big plays and keeping the SJSU passing game grounded for the most part.
Prediction: BYU 31 San Jose State 17
The Cougars get a do-over this week against a team that looks very similar to Utah State in schemes and overall approach. Given that they had an extra day to recover and prepare for this week's game, it should provide for some good returns.
Look for BYU to figure some things out this week, especially on offense, and put together its most complete effort of the year. San Jose State looks to have enough to keep it relatively close, but BYU should be able to secure its most comfortable win of the season, regardless.
Email: email@example.com. Twitter: @BrandonCGurney
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom Hill,...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 53
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 44