St. George man stabs mother during argument over cellphone, police say
ST. GEORGE — A 21-year-old man was arrested Thursday after police say he stabbed his mother multiple times while arguing over his cellphone.
Otis Maloney was booked into the Washington County Jail for investigation of attempted murder after he stabbed his mother multiple times with a kitchen knife, said St. George Police Capt. James Van Fleet.
Maloney called 911 after the incident. His mother was conscious and alert when paramedics arrived. She was transported to a hospital with non life-threatening wounds on her arms, hands and other ares of her upper body, Van Fleet said.
Police were called to the home, in the 2500 East block of 1240 South Circle, just after 11 a.m. Van Fleet said the violent incident started with a heated argument over cellphone usage.
"I don't know if it was over air minutes or texting or what," he said.
There were no signs of alcohol use by Maloney prior to the incident and Van Fleet did not know if mental illness was a factor.
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- Fire rips through Orem structure under...
- Grading Utah schools, 2014: Top 20 highest...
- Woman killed in Sandy shooting
- Police: Vernal woman arrested with car full...
- Regulators, groups eye EPA rule on coal ash
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 33
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15