St. George man stabs mother during argument over cellphone, police say
ST. GEORGE — A 21-year-old man was arrested Thursday after police say he stabbed his mother multiple times while arguing over his cellphone.
Otis Maloney was booked into the Washington County Jail for investigation of attempted murder after he stabbed his mother multiple times with a kitchen knife, said St. George Police Capt. James Van Fleet.
Maloney called 911 after the incident. His mother was conscious and alert when paramedics arrived. She was transported to a hospital with non life-threatening wounds on her arms, hands and other ares of her upper body, Van Fleet said.
Police were called to the home, in the 2500 East block of 1240 South Circle, just after 11 a.m. Van Fleet said the violent incident started with a heated argument over cellphone usage.
"I don't know if it was over air minutes or texting or what," he said.
There were no signs of alcohol use by Maloney prior to the incident and Van Fleet did not know if mental illness was a factor.
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- BYU's first physics grad earns posthumous Grammy
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 34
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11