St. George man stabs mother during argument over cellphone, police say
ST. GEORGE — A 21-year-old man was arrested Thursday after police say he stabbed his mother multiple times while arguing over his cellphone.
Otis Maloney was booked into the Washington County Jail for investigation of attempted murder after he stabbed his mother multiple times with a kitchen knife, said St. George Police Capt. James Van Fleet.
Maloney called 911 after the incident. His mother was conscious and alert when paramedics arrived. She was transported to a hospital with non life-threatening wounds on her arms, hands and other ares of her upper body, Van Fleet said.
Police were called to the home, in the 2500 East block of 1240 South Circle, just after 11 a.m. Van Fleet said the violent incident started with a heated argument over cellphone usage.
"I don't know if it was over air minutes or texting or what," he said.
There were no signs of alcohol use by Maloney prior to the incident and Van Fleet did not know if mental illness was a factor.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought Boardwalk!
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Utahns losing thousands of dollars to phony...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 78
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Mia Love declines to make joint... 50
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 35
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 25
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Granite School District reaches... 18