St. George man stabs mother during argument over cellphone, police say
ST. GEORGE — A 21-year-old man was arrested Thursday after police say he stabbed his mother multiple times while arguing over his cellphone.
Otis Maloney was booked into the Washington County Jail for investigation of attempted murder after he stabbed his mother multiple times with a kitchen knife, said St. George Police Capt. James Van Fleet.
Maloney called 911 after the incident. His mother was conscious and alert when paramedics arrived. She was transported to a hospital with non life-threatening wounds on her arms, hands and other ares of her upper body, Van Fleet said.
Police were called to the home, in the 2500 East block of 1240 South Circle, just after 11 a.m. Van Fleet said the violent incident started with a heated argument over cellphone usage.
"I don't know if it was over air minutes or texting or what," he said.
There were no signs of alcohol use by Maloney prior to the incident and Van Fleet did not know if mental illness was a factor.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- 11 signs you're a Jeep driver
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 125
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 32
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 14
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 12
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10