Elder J. Devn Cornish of the Seventy was an impoverished, hungry student with only a nickel to his name when he prayed for and found a quarter to buy a piece of fried chicken on sale for 29 cents.
President Monson shared a story from his youth: His hard-earned five-dollar-bill was accidentally laundered during the difficult times of the Great Depression. Through fervent prayer, the five-dollar-bill was preserved. President Monson expressed gratitude for knowing that God hears prayers, even for small matters, and is mindful of His children.
We were witnesses to many other spirit-touching talks ranging from fathers who can do more for their daughters by loving their wives, to the audible whoosh of wonder as new temples were announced from Provo to Wyoming to Paris, France.
For me and my wife and all within the sound of conference, the question now is this: What will we do about the doctrine we heard and the spirit we felt?
Ultimately, the words of the prophets were not about laundered bills or found quarters, but about learning, doing and becoming more like Jesus, our exemplar, our Savior and our Redeemer.
William Monahan is a 1980 graduate of BYU Law School. He practices law and teaches law and ethics. A former Phoenix stake president and current high councilor for the QC Chandler Heights Stake, he is active in Interfaith, and a U.S. Air Force veteran
- Mormon family featured on Boston's WCVB...
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere illusion?
- Faith carries LDS couple as each of their...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why we...
- Eliza R. Snow is more than a poetess as she...
- 'Noah' receives disclaimer, may be banned in...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 70
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere... 59
- 'Cosmos' return puts science and... 32
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why... 29
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,... 25
- 'Noah' banned in three countries weeks... 21