House Rules Chairman Wayne Harper, R-West Jordan, said there were "issues with other elected officials outside the House and Senate weighing in," apparently a reference to sitting members of Congress as well as the governor.
Also, Harper said, coming to an agreement was made more difficult because several House members are eying a run for Congress, including Clark and Rep. Carl Wimmer, R-Herriman, who has already announced a bid for the new 4th District seat.
Wimmer said he's "just letting them do their job" and the final map "doesn't really matter. We will take what we get and we will run with it."
Senate President Michael Waddoups, R-Taylorsville, said the pause in the process reflects well on House leadership, showing "that they were trying to allow their caucus members to express their views."
House Democrats support the decision to adjourn, to give the public an opportunity to see the proposals discussed in the closed GOP caucuses. The state Democratic Party has threatened a lawsuit over the congressional boundaries.
"This need to step back from our perspective has nothing to do with whether Republicans can come together on a map," House Minority Leader David Litvack, D-Salt Lake, said.
"To come out with something new at the last second, at the end of the evening, was not the right way to do it," Litvack said. "That would put a pall over the entire redistricting process and the entire Legislature. We don't need that."
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- Utah State runner Brittany Fisher gaining...
- Former Jazzman Thurl Bailey named ambassador...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 41
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 21
- S.L. draws up airport plans 16
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 16
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 14
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water... 11