Tuesday night, Missouri officials announced that their school is exploring a departure from the Big 12 Conference.
Missouri Chancellor Brady Deaton is resigning as chairman of the Big 12 board of directors so he can “fully explore options for conference affiliation.” The Tigers are reportedly interested in joining the Southeastern Conference.
So how will this latest development impact BYU, which is a potential candidate to join the Big 12?
Louisville Courier-Journal columnist Eric Crawford outlines what he thinks what will happen from here in the Big 12. He believes that BYU will be the first team approached by the Big 12 about joining.
"I don’t know that BYU’s acceptance is a slam dunk," Crawford writes. "It has its own network to consider, but you’d figure the benefits of BCS inclusion would make BYU do whatever it could to work things out."
Orangebloods.com reports that BYU is still one of the leading candidates to get an invitation to the Big 12.
"The Big 12 appears ready to expand, and the list of targets getting the most consideration right now continue to be BYU, TCU, Louisville and Cincinnati, multiple sources said," writes Chip Brown. "But there is mixed opinions inside the league about whether to grow to 10 or 12 (with or without Missouri). And here's why: ABC/ESPN agreed to keep paying the Big 12 as a 10-team league last summer for the remainder of its deal (through 2015-16). But if the league grows back to 12 and doesn't include Texas A&M, Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado, but does include the likes of BYU, TCU, Louisville and Cincinnati, it's not necessarily a better TV product."
— ESPN.com provides an overview of what's happening in the Big 12.
— This column in the Kansas City Star says Missouri's desire to go to another conference is "especially sad."
— And, finally, BYU quarterback Riley Nelson's impressive second half performance against Utah State has inspired a humorous YouTube video titled "Ode to Riley Nelson's Hair."
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18