Man faces kidnapping charges after dragging girlfriend from nightclub, holding her at knifepoint
SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake City man faces aggravated kidnapping and other charges after police say he dragged his girlfriend from a nightclub and then held her at knifepoint in her apartment in front of their 1-year-old daughter.
According to charges filed Wednesday in 3rd District Court, Edwin Saul Tello, 21, "forcefully removed" his girlfriend from El Nuevo Mi Mexico, a nightclub at 3620 S. State. The woman's clothing was torn and she sustained scratches to her face when she struggled to get away, charges state.
Tello then forced the woman into her car and drove to a relative's residence to pick up the couple's infant daughter. He then drove to the woman's apartment at 1080 W. 3300 South, charges state.
The woman took her daughter and ran into the apartment, locking the door behind her, according to the charges. Tello kicked open the door, threw the woman down and grabbed a knife from the kitchen, charges state.
Tello then held the knife to the woman's neck and said, "What are you trying to do? You will never leave me," according to the charges. Tello then barricaded the apartment door to prevent the woman from leaving.
The woman's sister, who was with her at the club, followed Tello to the apartment. She heard shouting coming from inside the apartment and called police, the charges state.
Police arrived at the apartment, knocked on the door and identified themselves. The door opened, and police saw the woman inside with lacerations on her mouth, face and left leg, according to the charges. Pieces of wood from the damaged door frame were on the floor by the door.
Tello, also known as Edwin Tello-Contreras, was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail, where he's being held on $250,000 bail. He faces single counts of aggravated kidnapping and aggravated burglary, both first-degree felonies; as well as aggravated assault and commission of domestic violence in the presence of a child, both third-degree felonies.
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- University of Utah student in critical...
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- Provo man killed brother-in-law in...
- Utah man who founded first KFC dies at 95
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's...
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells BYU...
- Romney, Lee take to the airwaves to... 63
- Sen. Mike Lee: Congress needs to remind... 55
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 48
- Woman wears colander for driver's... 35
- Pope announces U.S. visit, greets... 34
- Former presidential candidate Mitt... 32
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 20