Deseret News archives
For a couple of months, BYU has been viewed as one of the leading candidates to join the Big 12. Now, there's some talk that Boise State, which just joined the Mountain West Conference this season, could be a candidate, too.
Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury-News reports that "The Big 12, which currently has nine teams but may be down to eight very soon — if Missouri leaves for the SEC — is considering expanding to 12, according to sources. Boise State, Brigham Young, West Virginia and Louisville are under consideration. (That would be a pretty good league, by the way. Six of the 12 teams are currently ranked: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Baylor, West Virginia and Boise State.)"
About BYU, Wilner writes: "No school in the country is tougher to read — many people think they know what the Cougars are thinking and very few actually do. I’ve been told the Cougars are happy with their Olympic sports in the West Coast Conference. Whether they would consider a football-only membership in the Big 12 and whether the Big 12 would consider such an arrangement I don’t know."
Meanwhile, the Big 12 athletic directors, and new commissioner Chuck Neinas, met in Dallas the past couple of days. The main goal is creating solidarity and stability for the league, which officially said goodbye to Texas A&M this week. They're discussing the possibility of adding anywhere from one to four teams, and part of that could depend on Missouri, which reportedly is interested in joining the Southeastern Conference.
Finally, check out the performances of various former BYU basketball players overseas. Watch highlights of guard Trent Whiting pour in 43 points in a game in an Italian league.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34