Deseret News archives
For a couple of months, BYU has been viewed as one of the leading candidates to join the Big 12. Now, there's some talk that Boise State, which just joined the Mountain West Conference this season, could be a candidate, too.
Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury-News reports that "The Big 12, which currently has nine teams but may be down to eight very soon — if Missouri leaves for the SEC — is considering expanding to 12, according to sources. Boise State, Brigham Young, West Virginia and Louisville are under consideration. (That would be a pretty good league, by the way. Six of the 12 teams are currently ranked: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Baylor, West Virginia and Boise State.)"
About BYU, Wilner writes: "No school in the country is tougher to read — many people think they know what the Cougars are thinking and very few actually do. I’ve been told the Cougars are happy with their Olympic sports in the West Coast Conference. Whether they would consider a football-only membership in the Big 12 and whether the Big 12 would consider such an arrangement I don’t know."
Meanwhile, the Big 12 athletic directors, and new commissioner Chuck Neinas, met in Dallas the past couple of days. The main goal is creating solidarity and stability for the league, which officially said goodbye to Texas A&M this week. They're discussing the possibility of adding anywhere from one to four teams, and part of that could depend on Missouri, which reportedly is interested in joining the Southeastern Conference.
Finally, check out the performances of various former BYU basketball players overseas. Watch highlights of guard Trent Whiting pour in 43 points in a game in an Italian league.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 88
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32