SALT LAKE CITY — Charges were filed Tuesday against a 32-year-old man police say stabbed a hotel clerk Saturday.
According to charges filed in 3rd District Court, Christopher Michael Burch entered the lobby of Little America at 534 S. Main moments after a fire alarm when off in the hotel. Burch then told a woman in the lobby, "You're going to want to leave," the charges state.
The hotel clerk asked Burch for his room number, to which the man replied he didn't remember, according to the charges. The clerk then checked Burch's identification and told him there was no one registered at the hotel by that name.
At that point, "Burch lunged over the counter and hit (the clerk) on the side of his face," the charges state. The clerk, whose face was cut and bleeding, told police he could see a knife in Burch's hand, so he ran into a back room of the hotel.
Witnesses say Burch also threw a wooden statue through the widow of a hotel gift store, charges state.
Moments later, police responded to reports of a man with a knife at the hotel. Hotel security flagged down officers upon their arrival and pointed out Burch, who was running through a parking lot, according to the charges.
Officers arrested Burch in the parking lot and found in the man's possession a knife with blood on the blade.
Burch faces single counts of aggravated assault, a third-degree felony; criminal mischief, a class A misdemeanor; as well as assault and interference with an arresting officer, both class B misdemeanors. He is being held in the Salt Lake County Jail on $5,000 bail.
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 67
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15