The Big 12 is trying to establish stability, and BYU remains at the top of the list of potential replacements for Texas A&M, which officially defected to the Southeastern Conference this week.
The Cougars are in their first year of independence in football while most of their other sports are set to compete in the West Coast Conference. WCC commissioner Jamie Zaninovich told ESPN.com's Andy Katz that the WCC won't stand in BYU's way should it choose to join a BCS conference. Watch that interview with him.
"BYU’s hierarchy does like being with like-minded, faith-based universities in the WCC that can understand its mission. The Cougars do seek stability, and their new conference does offer it up," Katz said. "But if the Cougars did want to leave, they wouldn’t get held up by the WCC. The league fully understands that BYU may want to join a major football conference, but the WCC isn’t fretting an imminent departure. The conference is pumping up BYU’s admission with higher-profile members Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s and moved its tournament semifinals away from Sunday for the Cougars."
Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman writes that the Big 12 needs 12 teams, not 10.
All eyes are on Missouri, which reportedly has interest in joining the SEC. What will the Tigers do? Interim Big 12 Commissioner Chuck Neinas said the league is viable even without Mizzou.
Big 12 athletic directors are scheduled to meet with Neinas this week, and expansion is expected to be one of the main topics of conversation.
In case you didn't get a chance to watch the Jimmer's All-Stars exhibition game last week, catch it here.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 21