MURRAY — A woman who was babysitting a 4-month-old boy last week has been arrested and accused of killing the child.
Jennifer Martinez, 35, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail Monday night for investigation of child abuse homicide.
Last Thursday, Martinez was baby-sitting a young boy at her residence, near 4600 South and 200 West. At some point during the evening she called 911 to report the boy was unresponsive and possibly in cardiac arrest, said Murray police detective Kenny Bass.
The infant was taken to Intermountain Medical Center and later flown to Primary Children's Medical Center where he was placed on life support.
Doctors said the boy's injuries were consistent "with being violently shaken," according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
The boy was taken off life support on Saturday, Bass said.
When police interviewed Martinez she said the young boy "was upset and would not stop crying." In an attempt to stop the boy from crying, "she held the baby using both of her hands underneath his arms and recklessly shook him forwards and backwards until he stopped crying," the report states.
Investigators say it was Martinez's "reckless actions" that caused the infant's death.
Martinez was reportedly an acquaintance of the boy's family.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18