MURRAY — A woman who was babysitting a 4-month-old boy last week has been arrested and accused of killing the child.
Jennifer Martinez, 35, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail Monday night for investigation of child abuse homicide.
Last Thursday, Martinez was baby-sitting a young boy at her residence, near 4600 South and 200 West. At some point during the evening she called 911 to report the boy was unresponsive and possibly in cardiac arrest, said Murray police detective Kenny Bass.
The infant was taken to Intermountain Medical Center and later flown to Primary Children's Medical Center where he was placed on life support.
Doctors said the boy's injuries were consistent "with being violently shaken," according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
The boy was taken off life support on Saturday, Bass said.
When police interviewed Martinez she said the young boy "was upset and would not stop crying." In an attempt to stop the boy from crying, "she held the baby using both of her hands underneath his arms and recklessly shook him forwards and backwards until he stopped crying," the report states.
Investigators say it was Martinez's "reckless actions" that caused the infant's death.
Martinez was reportedly an acquaintance of the boy's family.
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Donations to North Salt Lake family displaced...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 39
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 26
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 21