MURRAY — A woman who was babysitting a 4-month-old boy last week has been arrested and accused of killing the child.
Jennifer Martinez, 35, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail Monday night for investigation of child abuse homicide.
Last Thursday, Martinez was baby-sitting a young boy at her residence, near 4600 South and 200 West. At some point during the evening she called 911 to report the boy was unresponsive and possibly in cardiac arrest, said Murray police detective Kenny Bass.
The infant was taken to Intermountain Medical Center and later flown to Primary Children's Medical Center where he was placed on life support.
Doctors said the boy's injuries were consistent "with being violently shaken," according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
The boy was taken off life support on Saturday, Bass said.
When police interviewed Martinez she said the young boy "was upset and would not stop crying." In an attempt to stop the boy from crying, "she held the baby using both of her hands underneath his arms and recklessly shook him forwards and backwards until he stopped crying," the report states.
Investigators say it was Martinez's "reckless actions" that caused the infant's death.
Martinez was reportedly an acquaintance of the boy's family.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Pleasant View fire contained Saturday;...
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Holladay woman dies rock climbing in Maple...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 22
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Two Utah schools under federal... 13
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 13