High school football: Fremont gets fired up as it defeats Darts, 20-7
Although Davis High has one of the top defenses in the state, it was the Silver Wolves' defense that came up big in securing a 20-7 victory over the Darts in the Region 1 battle.
After going 3 and out on its first couple of possessions of the game, the Fremont defense came up big by blocking a field goal attempt by Davis in the first quarter. Davis, however, would score later on in the second quarter to go up 7-0 over Fremont with time winding down in the first half.
Fremont then moved the ball down the field, and on the last play of the first half, Cooper Kelly threw a touchdown pass to Travis Stringham. However, there was a controversial flag on the play, with pass interference called against a Fremont receiver on the opposite side of the field. The referees negated the touchdown and ended the half on the penalty.
Frustrated with the call, Fremont came out of the locker room fired up and ready to take control of the game. Kelly connected with one of his tight ends, Brock Smith, for a 65-yard touchdown pass down the middle of the field to make it 7-6 after the extra point went wide right. Later on in the quarter, the Fremont defense did it once again as Jordan Preator intercepted Tyson Denney’s pass and returned it 38 yards for another touchdown to make it 14-7 after Fremont completed a two point conversion on a pass from Cooper Kelly to Rowdi Stucki.
Later on with the game winding down, the Fremont defense forced and recovered a fumble on its own 25-yard line and Nick Vigil scored a few plays later on a 7-yard run to seal the victory for Fremont as it took control of the top spot in Region 1 with three games left to go in region play. Vigil finished the night with 108 yards rushing and a touchdown for the Silver Wolves as Kelly threw for 185 yards and a touchdown. Denney threw for 159 yards and a touchdown in the loss for Davis.
Jason Hodson is a 2006 graduate of Fremont High School. He is currently attending Weber State University working toward a major in information systems and technology.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44