High school football: Stansbury bests Morgan on Homecoming night
STANSBURY PARK — Just when things looked like they might get awfully scary for Stansbury on Homecoming night, junior playmaker Dacota Case made sure his school got the celebratory victory it was hoping for.
Region 11 opponent Morgan had been marching down the field midway through the fourth quarter of Stansbury's Homecoming game and was threatening to make it one-score affair.
Case wouldn't have any of it.
He picked off a Morgan pass and raced all the way to the endzone for his second touchdown of the night, and the Stallions went on to ultimately prevail, 27-14, on Friday night.
Stansbury, which has a bye next week, took over sole possession of first place in Region 11 with the victory.
Following a scoreless opening quarter, Stansbury went ahead with 9:53 left in the second quarter when Case took a handoff and raced 35 yards to the endzone.
A 44-yard score by junior Tyler Stevens just before halftime made it 13-0, and the Stallions extended their lead to 20-0 early in the third quarter, courtesy of a 2-yard run by sophomore QB Chase Christiansen.
Morgan, to its credit, didn't give up.
A 6-yard TD run by Lantzen Toomer gave the Trojans life near the end of the third quarter, and they were really threatening to make it a game when Case came up with the huge interception return.
From there, the Stallions rode their way to a big win on Homecoming night.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28