Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
LEHI — A new major east-west corridor is about to open for commuters in northwest Utah County.
The first phase of the Mountain View Corridor will open on Saturday. The three-mile stretch of road is a connection between I-15 and Redwood Road at 2100 North in Lehi. This project features two new bridges, a bike path and a walking trail along the Jordan River.
"It's a great benefit to the community right here in this area, as well as the communities outside of Lehi — Eagle Mountain, Saratoga Springs, anyone who needs to access I-15 and make an east-west movement in Utah County — this facility is really going to help," said Teri Newell, project coordinator for UDOT.
This $55 million road is a frontage road system, similar to a divided highway with one-way eastbound and westbound lanes and signaled intersections. The configuration may surprise a few motorists, but there are plenty of signs to help drivers navigate through those intersections.
"It's exciting to be able to zip into Lehi, zip back out to our house. It will make our commutes a lot less stressful," said one western Utah County resident.
Construction on the Mountain View Corridor in Salt Lake County began last summer. The 15-mile segment between 5400 South and Redwood Road is expected to be complete by the end of 2012.
To meet projected transportation demands in the year 2030, the full freeway will connect with I-80 in the north at 5800 West in Salt Lake City and I-15 at 2100 North in Lehi in the south.
As part of the opening celebration, local charities and North Point Elementary will host a fun run down the new pavement beginning at 10:30 a.m., followed by a barbecue. For more information go to udot.utah.gov/mountainviewutcounty.
- What Utah voters need to know for the 2016...
- Jonathan Johnson says voters 'ready for a...
- Gov. Gary Herbert running hard for second...
- Wasatch Back co-founder finally gets to run...
- About Utah: Former Utah Jazz CEO Greg Miller...
- Deputy pulls over car, discovers injured...
- Family coping with 2 sons' suicides hope free...
- Pony Express rides again in Utah
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 71
- Preventing mass shootings? Utah... 67
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah,... 42
- Chaffetz: I'm going to be 'kid in a... 29
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 24
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 20
- Warnings come true: Indicted FLDS... 18