, Utah Highway Patrol
BRIGHAM CITY — A 64-year-old Hyrum man died Wednesday after the semitrailer he was driving struck another semi from behind.
Derrel Ray Leach was killed on impact, Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson said. Leach was traveling north I-15 near Brigham City just before 2 p.m. when the crash occurred.
Johnson said traffic was being diverted out of the left travel lane into the right travel lane to avoid an earlier crash. Three semitrailers were stopped in the right lane when Leach approached.
"(Leach) failed to slow in time and rear-ended the rearmost semi that was stopped," Johnson said.
That semi was pushed into the middle truck, which, in turn, collided with the semitrailer in front. None of the drivers of those semis were injured.
Johnson said the accident is under investigation, but there are no indications Leach was impaired or distracted.
"They'll investigate (the cause) as best they can, but that could remain unknown," he said.
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12