, Utah Highway Patrol
BRIGHAM CITY — A 64-year-old Hyrum man died Wednesday after the semitrailer he was driving struck another semi from behind.
Derrel Ray Leach was killed on impact, Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson said. Leach was traveling north I-15 near Brigham City just before 2 p.m. when the crash occurred.
Johnson said traffic was being diverted out of the left travel lane into the right travel lane to avoid an earlier crash. Three semitrailers were stopped in the right lane when Leach approached.
"(Leach) failed to slow in time and rear-ended the rearmost semi that was stopped," Johnson said.
That semi was pushed into the middle truck, which, in turn, collided with the semitrailer in front. None of the drivers of those semis were injured.
Johnson said the accident is under investigation, but there are no indications Leach was impaired or distracted.
"They'll investigate (the cause) as best they can, but that could remain unknown," he said.
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 11
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8