, Utah Highway Patrol
BRIGHAM CITY — A 64-year-old Hyrum man died Wednesday after the semitrailer he was driving struck another semi from behind.
Derrel Ray Leach was killed on impact, Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson said. Leach was traveling north I-15 near Brigham City just before 2 p.m. when the crash occurred.
Johnson said traffic was being diverted out of the left travel lane into the right travel lane to avoid an earlier crash. Three semitrailers were stopped in the right lane when Leach approached.
"(Leach) failed to slow in time and rear-ended the rearmost semi that was stopped," Johnson said.
That semi was pushed into the middle truck, which, in turn, collided with the semitrailer in front. None of the drivers of those semis were injured.
Johnson said the accident is under investigation, but there are no indications Leach was impaired or distracted.
"They'll investigate (the cause) as best they can, but that could remain unknown," he said.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- Man injured in police shooting identified
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Chris Stewart endorses presidential... 18