, Utah Highway Patrol
BRIGHAM CITY — A 64-year-old Hyrum man died Wednesday after the semitrailer he was driving struck another semi from behind.
Derrel Ray Leach was killed on impact, Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson said. Leach was traveling north I-15 near Brigham City just before 2 p.m. when the crash occurred.
Johnson said traffic was being diverted out of the left travel lane into the right travel lane to avoid an earlier crash. Three semitrailers were stopped in the right lane when Leach approached.
"(Leach) failed to slow in time and rear-ended the rearmost semi that was stopped," Johnson said.
That semi was pushed into the middle truck, which, in turn, collided with the semitrailer in front. None of the drivers of those semis were injured.
Johnson said the accident is under investigation, but there are no indications Leach was impaired or distracted.
"They'll investigate (the cause) as best they can, but that could remain unknown," he said.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 15