“Brian (Logan) helps out a lot, and I mean a lot,” said Sampson. “He’s always talking. After the first game, he went over every single thing that I did, and I mean everything. It helped, it helped a lot. Brian has been a big help.”
Another big help has been his desire to work. Coming out of spring practices, the two-deep at every defensive backfield position looked to be secure.
Cracking the two-deep would take a lot of extra effort.
“Joe has shown that he knows how to work and that he has the desire to work, which has helped him,” said defensive backs coach Nick Howell toward the end of fall practices. “He’s talented enough, and he brings an intensity to the field that can help us. I’ve been pleased with his progression.”
Sampson broke the two-deep at boundary corner and has split time with starter Preston Hadley at the position in every game so far this season. Both players have received early praise from Mendenhall.
“I believe that we’re stronger at boundary corner than we were a year ago,” he assessed. “Joe has worked hard, and I’m happy with his progress.”
From the second Sampson took the practice field, he’s presented a very aggressive and physical type of play. During the first live scrimmage, he recorded two monster hits, which is a big help to the defense.
“That’s what football is, it’s a contact sport,” he said regarding his physical play. “If you’re going to hit someone, then you’re going to hit someone. That’s my job. I love that style of football, and it’s what I think I’m good at.”
Along with finding a good fit within the football program, Sampson has also found a good fit outside of it.
“I love it here at BYU,” he said. “Everyone took me in immediately and made me feel like I was part of it. I really haven’t had anything I could say that was hard to adjust to here. I’ve made some real good friends, school is going good and I’m just very happy to be here. It took a bit longer than I wanted to finally get here, but I’m here and it’s going good.”
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 89
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33