In going independent, BYU has looked at Notre Dame as a role model.
As college football undergoes a seismic shift with talk of widespread conference realignment, could the Fighting Irish drop their independent status?
There are several reports that say that Notre Dame would be better off joining the Atlantic Coast Conference. Yahoo! Sports' Dan Wetzel writes, "If I’m Notre Dame today, and I see the Big East in mid-implosion, see that the ACC has essentially left a spot for me (temporarily) and see the long-term demographic trends for the Midwest, I’m spending the afternoon having a long, soul-searching look in the independence mirror."
SI.com's Andy Staples says that Notre Dame is the big prize in conference realignment.
Meanwhile, the Big 12 seems to be hanging together by a thread, with Texas and Oklahoma soon to determine that league's fate. Will one or both join the Pac-12? Meanwhile, could the Big 12 and the Big East merge?
BYU's former conference, the Mountain West, is keeping very busy these days. The league is hoping that TCU stays, while it is also looking at a possible merger with Conference USA. Commissioner Craig Thompson has been talking to some Big 12 schools that could be homeless if the Big 12 collapses.
Watch this humorous video about tackling skills produced by BYUtv.
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 147
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27