Man 'extremely critical' after being shocked by power line, falling 30 feet
SOUTH SALT LAKE — A man doing building maintenance on a roof was hospitalized in extremely critical condition Monday after hitting his head on a high-voltage power line.
The man was one of two who were working on the roof of Snowie Shaved Ice at 1006 W. Beardsley Place (2480 South) around 2:30 p.m., South Salt Lake police spokesman Gary Keller said. They were 30 feet from the ground, when one man's head made contact with the high-voltage power line.
"From that point, we don't know if he was thrown or collapsed on the roof from the electrical shock," Keller said. "He fell from the roof to the ground 30 feet below."
Keller said the power line was a high-tension line that would have been transmitting "thousands of volts." Between the shock and the fall, the man was left in extremely critical condition and was transported to an area hospital for treatment.
"Either instance could possibly be fatal," Keller said. "He had a combination of both, unfortunately."
The other worker was uninjured.
Keller said he did not know whether the men were employees of Snowie Shaved Ice or if they were just contracted to do work on the building.
No identifying information was available on the man who was injured late Monday.
— Emiley Morgan
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Take a breather: 5 memorable ways to pamper...
- 10 of the most unusual laws in Utah
- Youth volunteers plant 3,000 flags at Sandy...
- Man charged with threats of terrorism,...
- Riverton man arrested in 'unique' display of...
- Man found shot to death in Cottonwood Heights...
- Splash pad in N. Salt Lake’s Legacy...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 113
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 25
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 18
- Provo forum to explore roles of family,... 17
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 11
- Medical marijuana debate focuses on... 10
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become... 8
- San Juan County Commissioner appeals... 8