Man 'extremely critical' after being shocked by power line, falling 30 feet
SOUTH SALT LAKE — A man doing building maintenance on a roof was hospitalized in extremely critical condition Monday after hitting his head on a high-voltage power line.
The man was one of two who were working on the roof of Snowie Shaved Ice at 1006 W. Beardsley Place (2480 South) around 2:30 p.m., South Salt Lake police spokesman Gary Keller said. They were 30 feet from the ground, when one man's head made contact with the high-voltage power line.
"From that point, we don't know if he was thrown or collapsed on the roof from the electrical shock," Keller said. "He fell from the roof to the ground 30 feet below."
Keller said the power line was a high-tension line that would have been transmitting "thousands of volts." Between the shock and the fall, the man was left in extremely critical condition and was transported to an area hospital for treatment.
"Either instance could possibly be fatal," Keller said. "He had a combination of both, unfortunately."
The other worker was uninjured.
Keller said he did not know whether the men were employees of Snowie Shaved Ice or if they were just contracted to do work on the building.
No identifying information was available on the man who was injured late Monday.
— Emiley Morgan
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 41
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 24
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 24
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 19