According to Horowitz, marriage alone solves most of the problems of the post-adolescent male. When men get married and have children, they step up to do what they were hardwired to do: be protectors and supporters of a family. This is especially true in the church, where the roles of both father and mother are clearly outlined in “The Family: A Proclamation to the World.” Again, men have a specific purpose: to provide for the family and preside “in love and righteousness.”
Of course, church members aren’t immune to the societal trends. We have our fair share of 20-something males who aren’t getting married and an unsettling number of bright, lovely women who can’t find a decent husband.
Which is why we’ve heard more recently about men needing to take that step toward marriage. Consider President Thomas S. Monson’s message from the April 2011 general priesthood meeting: “ I have thought a lot lately about you young men who are of an age to marry but who have not yet felt to do so. I see lovely young ladies who desire to be married and to raise families, and yet their opportunities are limited because so many young men are postponing marriage.”
I consider it our duty, as parents of boys, to raise hard-working, contributing members of society and the family. The world needs more good men.
I won’t stop wishing for that milk cow. But I’ll be ever grateful for a gospel that helps turn our boys into men.
- Faith carries LDS couple as each of their...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere illusion?
- Mormon family featured on Boston's WCVB...
- Match the Relief Society presidents to their...
- Eliza R. Snow is more than a poetess as she...
- 'Noah' receives disclaimer, may be banned in...
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere... 80
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 70
- 'Cosmos' return puts science and... 35
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why... 29
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,... 27
- 'Noah' banned in three countries weeks... 21
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 20