WACO, Texas — The Utah Valley University soccer team closed out its two-game Texas road trip Sunday with a 2-1 loss to Baylor of the Big 12 Conference.
The Wolverines trailed 2-0 before Natalie Young scored UVU's lone goal at the 71:05 mark on a penalty kick.
For Young, it was her second goal of the year.
"I am very proud of the girls. They put together a very good effort," UVU soccer coach Brent Anderson said. "They didn't create as many scoring opportunities as we would have liked, but we were very strong defensively. Baylor is a good team, and I thought we did a good job being organized behind them and working well together."
With the loss, the Wolverines drop to 3-6 on the year, while Baylor improves to 7-2-1.
Despite the loss, Anderson liked what he saw.
"That's the effort I'm looking for game in and game out," he said. "We need to replicate this game and build on the scoring chances, and I think we've got ourselves a good team."
The Bears scored first with three minutes left in the half on a header by Christine Clark on an assist from Anja Rosales.
The scored remained 1-0 Bears until they scored again six minutes into the second half on a goal by Michelle Hagen.
The Wolverines began the road trip Thursday with a 4-2 loss to Fordham in College Station, Texas, on the campus of Texas A&M.
"I didn't like the Fordham game because I don't think we put in the effort until it was too late," Anderson said. "The last day or two we talked about the effort we needed to put in and I thought we played a much better game today."
Against Baylor, the Wolverines had six shots to BU's 24, while each team had seven corner kicks.
The Wolverines are back in action Sept. 22 when they travel to Idaho State for a 4 p.m. meeting with the Bengals.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48