WACO, Texas — The Utah Valley University soccer team closed out its two-game Texas road trip Sunday with a 2-1 loss to Baylor of the Big 12 Conference.
The Wolverines trailed 2-0 before Natalie Young scored UVU's lone goal at the 71:05 mark on a penalty kick.
For Young, it was her second goal of the year.
"I am very proud of the girls. They put together a very good effort," UVU soccer coach Brent Anderson said. "They didn't create as many scoring opportunities as we would have liked, but we were very strong defensively. Baylor is a good team, and I thought we did a good job being organized behind them and working well together."
With the loss, the Wolverines drop to 3-6 on the year, while Baylor improves to 7-2-1.
Despite the loss, Anderson liked what he saw.
"That's the effort I'm looking for game in and game out," he said. "We need to replicate this game and build on the scoring chances, and I think we've got ourselves a good team."
The Bears scored first with three minutes left in the half on a header by Christine Clark on an assist from Anja Rosales.
The scored remained 1-0 Bears until they scored again six minutes into the second half on a goal by Michelle Hagen.
The Wolverines began the road trip Thursday with a 4-2 loss to Fordham in College Station, Texas, on the campus of Texas A&M.
"I didn't like the Fordham game because I don't think we put in the effort until it was too late," Anderson said. "The last day or two we talked about the effort we needed to put in and I thought we played a much better game today."
Against Baylor, the Wolverines had six shots to BU's 24, while each team had seven corner kicks.
The Wolverines are back in action Sept. 22 when they travel to Idaho State for a 4 p.m. meeting with the Bengals.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 74
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 60
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52