PROVO — While rumors and speculation about conference realignment continue to churn, many believe the end result will be the establishment of four 16-team superconferences comprising 64 schools.
Does BYU, which is in its first season of independence, belong?
This article by Yahoo! Sports examines which teams should be included and several college football experts weigh in.
"Paring FCS down to 64 teams would be difficult and a lot of feelings surely would be hurt," writes Olin Buchanan. "But I always say not everybody can play at the $100 tables. So, I'd make up my list of teams that typically draw a lot of fans, have at least a history of some reasonably recent success, have national appeal or are fortunate enough to be part of successful conferences.
"I'd start my list with all the teams in the Big Ten, Pac-12 and the SEC with the exception of Vanderbilt. There's 35 teams. I surprise myself by also deciding to keep all eight teams from the Big East and TCU to bring my list to 44. That would leave 20 slots open. The 10 most obvious teams to include are Notre Dame, BYU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Clemson, Florida State and Virginia Tech. So, with nine available spots, I'd also keep Missouri, Boise State, Boston College, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Maryland, Miami, North Carolina, N.C. State and Virginia. But, frankly, I'd rather keep college football as it is."
SI.com's Michael Rosenberg writes that if the Big 12 is destroyed, everybody in college football loses.
Finally, the Coeur d'Alene Press reports that Idaho will receive $500,000 for playing at BYU on Nov. 12.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15