Uintah County prosecutor accused of assaulting Vernal detective
VERNAL — A Uintah County prosecutor is on leave while authorities in Wasatch County investigate his alleged assault on a Vernal police detective.
Chief deputy county attorney Greg Lamb is accused of attacking Vernal police detective Vance Norton. Both men attended a training retreat Sept. 8 at Daniel's Summit Lodge in Wasatch County, which is where the alleged assault occurred about 9:30 p.m.
Lamb had been drinking at the time, according to individuals who attended the retreat. A possible motive for the alleged assault is unknown.
Lamb declined to comment on the incident when contacted Tuesday. He has not been charged with a crime and was not arrested.
Norton also said he didn't want to talk about what occurred while the criminal investigation was ongoing.
Uintah County Attorney G. Mark Thomas confirmed Tuesday that Lamb has been placed on paid administrative leave for “an open period of time so that an investigation and determination could be made.” Thomas added that he has initiated a separate internal investigation into Lamb's alleged misconduct.
“I'll be making a determination independent of whatever Wasatch County does,” he said.
Thomas will take over the majority of Lamb's criminal cases during his leave. The remainder of the cases will be distributed between two of the county's three other deputy prosecutors.
The Vernal Police Department has is no plans to take any action against Norton, according to Assistant Police Chief Keith Campbell.
“There is no reason to discipline him,” Campbell said. “He was professional and acted exactly the way he should have.”
Two calls to the Wasatch County Sheriff's Office seeking additional information about the case were not returned Tuesday.
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop officers...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Appreciating sacrifice: Deployed soldiers...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12