Uintah County prosecutor accused of assaulting Vernal detective
VERNAL — A Uintah County prosecutor is on leave while authorities in Wasatch County investigate his alleged assault on a Vernal police detective.
Chief deputy county attorney Greg Lamb is accused of attacking Vernal police detective Vance Norton. Both men attended a training retreat Sept. 8 at Daniel's Summit Lodge in Wasatch County, which is where the alleged assault occurred about 9:30 p.m.
Lamb had been drinking at the time, according to individuals who attended the retreat. A possible motive for the alleged assault is unknown.
Lamb declined to comment on the incident when contacted Tuesday. He has not been charged with a crime and was not arrested.
Norton also said he didn't want to talk about what occurred while the criminal investigation was ongoing.
Uintah County Attorney G. Mark Thomas confirmed Tuesday that Lamb has been placed on paid administrative leave for “an open period of time so that an investigation and determination could be made.” Thomas added that he has initiated a separate internal investigation into Lamb's alleged misconduct.
“I'll be making a determination independent of whatever Wasatch County does,” he said.
Thomas will take over the majority of Lamb's criminal cases during his leave. The remainder of the cases will be distributed between two of the county's three other deputy prosecutors.
The Vernal Police Department has is no plans to take any action against Norton, according to Assistant Police Chief Keith Campbell.
“There is no reason to discipline him,” Campbell said. “He was professional and acted exactly the way he should have.”
Two calls to the Wasatch County Sheriff's Office seeking additional information about the case were not returned Tuesday.
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Landslide remediation plans emerge amid...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 34
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 33
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20