Early wards organized by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
1. Nineteen wards were originally organized in Salt Lake City on Feb. 22, 1849.
2. The North Cottonwood Ward (later called Farmington) was organized on March 24, 1849. Joseph L. Robinson was called to preside as bishop.
3. Orville S. Cox was called as bishop of the North Mill Canyon Ward (later changed to Bountiful) in 1849.
4. LDS Church President Brigham Young organized Kay’s Ward (Kaysville) in January 1851. It was named after William Kay, the first bishop.
5. Four wards were organized in Provo in August 1852.
6. Saints in Box Elder County were organized into a stake of 16 wards on Aug. 18, 1877. The wards included four in Brigham City, one in Perry, Willard City, Mantua, Harper, Honeyville, Deweyville, Portage, Malad (Idaho), Bear River City, Curlew (Snowville), Grouse Creek and Corinne.
7. The Providence 1st Ward was organized in Cache Valley in 1859 with Robert H. Williams as bishop. The ward was split into two wards in 1909.
8. The Farnum Ward, Fremont County, Idaho, was organized in September 1906 under the leadership of Bishop John E. Morrison.
9. The Bountiful 1st and 2nd Wards were organized on Feb. 14, 1909.
Source: "Encyclopedia History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," Andrew Jenson, assistant church historian
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Defending the Faith: Two theological accounts...
- LDS general authorities and their church...
- Taylor Halverson: When former Gov. Boggs'...
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4...
- President and Sister Uchtdorf visit site of...
- The Clean Cut: LDS 3-year-old sings her dad a...
- Book review: 'By the Stars' is a low-key love...
- Book review: 'The Spider and the Sparrow' is...
- Defending the Faith: Two theological... 35
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4... 26
- LDS general authorities and their... 6
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's... 2
- Taylor Halverson: When former Gov.... 1
- President and Sister Uchtdorf visit... 0
- The Clean Cut: LDS 3-year-old sings her... 0
- Book review: 'By the Stars' is a... 0