The latest development in the Big 12 and conference realignment is the report that Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.
According to Orangebloods.com, the Sooners and Oklahoma State want out of the Big 12 and are looking to go West.
There has been a lot of speculation about BYU joining the Big 12 when Texas A&M leaves the league to jump to the Southeastern Conference. But, once again, it would appear the Big 12's future is tenuous.
"If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up," writes Chip Brown. "OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU President Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday. There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado President Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12."
BYU is coming off a 17-16 loss at Texas over the weekend. Here's the report from the Austin American-Statesman on the game.
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26