"They had planned to do a mini concert for a group of financial executives who were in Salt Lake City,” Barrick said. “As the events of the day unfolded a request came from the First Presidency to change the program to an impromptu memorial concert. That night the concert, broadcast over KSL Radio, became one of the first musical memorials for the victims of 9/11.
“So it’s appropriately fitting that the choir would do a commemoration concert on the anniversary because their music has been providing solace for memories associated with 9/11 from the very beginning.”
Brokaw and his wife relished their chance to spend time with the choir, Barrick said. During a taping session on Aug. 21, Barrick said Brokaw stood in front of the choir and related how he first heard the choir perform as a young man when his family passed through Salt Lake City on a trip.
“It was his highlight of that trip, so he was very pleased to have this opportunity,” Barrick said. “He talked about what an honor it was for him to be able to be with the choir.”
“Shenandoah” is Brokaw’s all-time favorite song, Barrick said.
“After we finished recording Mr. Brokaw’s narration, he and his wife went to the back of the hall with a host and sat there while the choir and orchestra played the full arrangement of ‘Shenandoah.’ He just sat there with tears in his eyes. At the end of the playing, he just jumped to his feet and yelled, ‘Bravo,’ from the back of the Conference Center. It was a treat to know it had reached him so meaningfully.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Watch a video tribute to Sister Frances B....
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- Elder Oaks promotes strengthening the free...
- Members recall Sister Monson's quiet devotion
- Community of Christ recommends marriage,...
- LDS Church is smart to reach out to 'Book of...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 65
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 60
- New Harmony: The mainstreaming of... 45
- Wright Words: An open letter from a dad... 44
- Elder Oaks promotes strengthening the... 24
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers... 18
- LDS missionary 'stable' following... 16
- Hundreds watch as Angel Moroni statue... 15