"They had planned to do a mini concert for a group of financial executives who were in Salt Lake City,” Barrick said. “As the events of the day unfolded a request came from the First Presidency to change the program to an impromptu memorial concert. That night the concert, broadcast over KSL Radio, became one of the first musical memorials for the victims of 9/11.
“So it’s appropriately fitting that the choir would do a commemoration concert on the anniversary because their music has been providing solace for memories associated with 9/11 from the very beginning.”
Brokaw and his wife relished their chance to spend time with the choir, Barrick said. During a taping session on Aug. 21, Barrick said Brokaw stood in front of the choir and related how he first heard the choir perform as a young man when his family passed through Salt Lake City on a trip.
“It was his highlight of that trip, so he was very pleased to have this opportunity,” Barrick said. “He talked about what an honor it was for him to be able to be with the choir.”
“Shenandoah” is Brokaw’s all-time favorite song, Barrick said.
“After we finished recording Mr. Brokaw’s narration, he and his wife went to the back of the hall with a host and sat there while the choir and orchestra played the full arrangement of ‘Shenandoah.’ He just sat there with tears in his eyes. At the end of the playing, he just jumped to his feet and yelled, ‘Bravo,’ from the back of the Conference Center. It was a treat to know it had reached him so meaningfully.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- 14 surprising, heartwarming videos of LDS...
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Passing the torch
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in Salt...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 288
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 125
- Religious groups react to Boy... 70
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 42
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 30
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 26
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces first... 14
- ... 10