"They had planned to do a mini concert for a group of financial executives who were in Salt Lake City,” Barrick said. “As the events of the day unfolded a request came from the First Presidency to change the program to an impromptu memorial concert. That night the concert, broadcast over KSL Radio, became one of the first musical memorials for the victims of 9/11.
“So it’s appropriately fitting that the choir would do a commemoration concert on the anniversary because their music has been providing solace for memories associated with 9/11 from the very beginning.”
Brokaw and his wife relished their chance to spend time with the choir, Barrick said. During a taping session on Aug. 21, Barrick said Brokaw stood in front of the choir and related how he first heard the choir perform as a young man when his family passed through Salt Lake City on a trip.
“It was his highlight of that trip, so he was very pleased to have this opportunity,” Barrick said. “He talked about what an honor it was for him to be able to be with the choir.”
“Shenandoah” is Brokaw’s all-time favorite song, Barrick said.
“After we finished recording Mr. Brokaw’s narration, he and his wife went to the back of the hall with a host and sat there while the choir and orchestra played the full arrangement of ‘Shenandoah.’ He just sat there with tears in his eyes. At the end of the playing, he just jumped to his feet and yelled, ‘Bravo,’ from the back of the Conference Center. It was a treat to know it had reached him so meaningfully.”
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of prophets
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 46
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 8
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- 10 religious leaders you may not know... 5
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in... 4
- Over half a million people attended... 4