"They had planned to do a mini concert for a group of financial executives who were in Salt Lake City,” Barrick said. “As the events of the day unfolded a request came from the First Presidency to change the program to an impromptu memorial concert. That night the concert, broadcast over KSL Radio, became one of the first musical memorials for the victims of 9/11.
“So it’s appropriately fitting that the choir would do a commemoration concert on the anniversary because their music has been providing solace for memories associated with 9/11 from the very beginning.”
Brokaw and his wife relished their chance to spend time with the choir, Barrick said. During a taping session on Aug. 21, Barrick said Brokaw stood in front of the choir and related how he first heard the choir perform as a young man when his family passed through Salt Lake City on a trip.
“It was his highlight of that trip, so he was very pleased to have this opportunity,” Barrick said. “He talked about what an honor it was for him to be able to be with the choir.”
“Shenandoah” is Brokaw’s all-time favorite song, Barrick said.
“After we finished recording Mr. Brokaw’s narration, he and his wife went to the back of the hall with a host and sat there while the choir and orchestra played the full arrangement of ‘Shenandoah.’ He just sat there with tears in his eyes. At the end of the playing, he just jumped to his feet and yelled, ‘Bravo,’ from the back of the Conference Center. It was a treat to know it had reached him so meaningfully.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Utah woman writes new verse for LDS Cultural...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- Thousands gather for LDS Women's Meeting
- LDS general conference marks 90th, 65th...
- Defending the Faith: Thinking clearly about...
- New Jersey teen to join fight against... 62
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 17
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 13
- 5 things to remember when you think God... 10
- Here's how you and your spouse can... 3
- Watch: September 2014 General Women's... 2
- Jerry Earl Johnston: A celebrated... 2