Blue roundup: Bronco talks to national audience about program
BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall joined ESPN Radio's Scott Van Pelt Tuesday to talk about his team's victory at Ole Miss, preparing for the game against Texas, the rivalry with Utah and being an independent. Listen to the interview here.
Read a scouting report of the BYU-Texas game here.
"Well, the Longhorns are definitely going to have an advantage when it comes to speed and athleticism,” according to the report at Orangebloods.com. “BYU simply doesn't have the type of speed and talent that Texas will put on the field. The Horns need to find ways to take advantage of that offensively by getting players into space against a heavy zone defense, and defensively pressuring the quarterback.
“Speaking of pressuring the quarterback, Texas needs to go out of its way to hit and rattle (Jake) Heaps early. The sophomore signal caller was a different quarterback early in the game when he was hit early, and was visibly rattled; his accuracy took a significant hit, he failed to manage the clock and he failed to recognize coverages. The more UT hits Heaps, the more he's going to struggle.
“Also, Diaz should give his players a ton of freedom pre-snap to disguise coverages. Almost all of Heaps' throws were in the flats to backs, or shorter, intermediate routes. He didn't go through progressions often, and a lot of his throws were single reads against man coverage. Ole Miss didn't try to confuse him enough and offered similar looks, which allowed him to settle in. Diaz should dial up the aggressiveness throughout the entire game."
Here's a feature on Longhorn senior running back Fozzy Whittaker.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Meet the 21 Utah ties on the NFL playoff rosters
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 38
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory... 13