Over the past few decades, BYU has built a national reputation on a pass-happy, high-scoring offense.
But under coach Bronco Mendenhall, the Cougars are now a defensive-minded team, writes Austin American-Statesman columnist Kirk Bohls.
"This isn't your grandfather's BYU. It's not your father's BYU or your mother-in-law's BYU and certainly not LaVell Edwards'. It's Bronco Mendenhall's team. With a head coach with a name like that, a team's not going to be known for throwing the ball downfield 60 times and winning 52-48 shootouts. Finesse is out. Physical is in. Balanced offense is in. Bombs-away gameplans are out. Clock management and rugged defense are the order of the day."
As Texas prepares to face BYU on Saturday, the Longhorns are looking to shore up their defensive line.
Texas coach Mack Brown is confident in the future of his program, regardless of what happens with the Big 12.
Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News reports that the Pac-12 CEOs don't want the league to expand and are hoping for status quo. However, if the Big 12 does implode, the Pac-12 would look at expanding.
But what about Texas, which has its own television network?
"Would Texas be off the table for the Pac-12?" Wilner writes. "Sources said the implosion of the Big 12 would leave the Longhorns with only two choices: the Pac-12, or independence. In other words, the Big Ten is not an option for the Longhorns because the B10 doesn’t want Texas Tech — and TTU would be a package deal with UT. Taking the independent path would be fraught with challenges for Texas, which would have to find a home for its Olympic sports."
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 28
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 22
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 17
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 13