Over the past few decades, BYU has built a national reputation on a pass-happy, high-scoring offense.
But under coach Bronco Mendenhall, the Cougars are now a defensive-minded team, writes Austin American-Statesman columnist Kirk Bohls.
"This isn't your grandfather's BYU. It's not your father's BYU or your mother-in-law's BYU and certainly not LaVell Edwards'. It's Bronco Mendenhall's team. With a head coach with a name like that, a team's not going to be known for throwing the ball downfield 60 times and winning 52-48 shootouts. Finesse is out. Physical is in. Balanced offense is in. Bombs-away gameplans are out. Clock management and rugged defense are the order of the day."
As Texas prepares to face BYU on Saturday, the Longhorns are looking to shore up their defensive line.
Texas coach Mack Brown is confident in the future of his program, regardless of what happens with the Big 12.
Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News reports that the Pac-12 CEOs don't want the league to expand and are hoping for status quo. However, if the Big 12 does implode, the Pac-12 would look at expanding.
But what about Texas, which has its own television network?
"Would Texas be off the table for the Pac-12?" Wilner writes. "Sources said the implosion of the Big 12 would leave the Longhorns with only two choices: the Pac-12, or independence. In other words, the Big Ten is not an option for the Longhorns because the B10 doesn’t want Texas Tech — and TTU would be a package deal with UT. Taking the independent path would be fraught with challenges for Texas, which would have to find a home for its Olympic sports."
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Austin Collie signs with CFL's BC Lions,...
- Doug Robinson: What might have been for the...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- BYU holds on for 78-74 win over San Francisco
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 60
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34