'The Entitlement Trap' offers ways to help children take ownership
"The Entitlement Trap," by Richard and Linda Eyre, Avery, $18, 256 pages (nf)
Many times parents want to give their children the things they didn't have as a child. Also, parents generally want to have happy, healthy children who will be happy and well-adjusted adults who contribute to society.
That can be difficult when children, regardless of age, see things of what they will be given just by being alive.
This sense of entitlement can be combated by a sense of ownership, Richard and Linda Eyre say in their recently published book "The Entitlement Trap."
In "The Entitlement Trap," the Eyres offer experiences and step-by-step approaches to help children take ownership in their families, creating a family economy and banking system so they earn and manage money and contribute to the household. They also give ways to help children take ownership of their things and help their children reach their potential.
The Eyres use real-life examples from their own family economy while raising their own nine children and from others who have implemented it — both of positive results and when it took a little longer for their children to understand the system.
They acknowledge that this isn't a quick-fix solution (but they do offer a way to help get kids "out of their bubble" quickly) and encourage parents to implement what works for their family and sometimes, each individual child.
The Eyres are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and regularly contribute to the Deseret News. They have previously published several books on values parenting and "Teaching Your Children Values" was No. 1 on the New York Times best-sellers' list.
While "The Entitlement Trap" is written to be applicable in any home, many Mormon readers will recognize suggestions of weekly family meetings with refreshments and the suggestion to have children donate 10 percent of their income.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- 14 surprising, heartwarming videos of LDS...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Passing the torch
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS...
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in Salt...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- Religious groups react to Boy... 70
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 42
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 30
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 26
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces first... 14
- ... 10