'The Entitlement Trap' offers ways to help children take ownership
"The Entitlement Trap," by Richard and Linda Eyre, Avery, $18, 256 pages (nf)
Many times parents want to give their children the things they didn't have as a child. Also, parents generally want to have happy, healthy children who will be happy and well-adjusted adults who contribute to society.
That can be difficult when children, regardless of age, see things of what they will be given just by being alive.
This sense of entitlement can be combated by a sense of ownership, Richard and Linda Eyre say in their recently published book "The Entitlement Trap."
In "The Entitlement Trap," the Eyres offer experiences and step-by-step approaches to help children take ownership in their families, creating a family economy and banking system so they earn and manage money and contribute to the household. They also give ways to help children take ownership of their things and help their children reach their potential.
The Eyres use real-life examples from their own family economy while raising their own nine children and from others who have implemented it — both of positive results and when it took a little longer for their children to understand the system.
They acknowledge that this isn't a quick-fix solution (but they do offer a way to help get kids "out of their bubble" quickly) and encourage parents to implement what works for their family and sometimes, each individual child.
The Eyres are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and regularly contribute to the Deseret News. They have previously published several books on values parenting and "Teaching Your Children Values" was No. 1 on the New York Times best-sellers' list.
While "The Entitlement Trap" is written to be applicable in any home, many Mormon readers will recognize suggestions of weekly family meetings with refreshments and the suggestion to have children donate 10 percent of their income.
- Text of Obama's speech at Hiroshima Peace...
- Parishioners hold last service at church...
- Why the University of Miami plans to hire a...
- Sherry Young: The trip of a lifetime to the...
- President Uchtdorf visits Europe, returns to...
- President Uchtdorf recalls being a refugee,...
- New mission presidents
- Throwback Thursday: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- Why the University of Miami plans to... 45
- Elizabeth Smart picks BYU rape response... 38
- First-edition Book of Mormon to be part... 18
- Watch: Mormon missionaries rescue... 7
- Why don't more Americans ask faith... 6
- Sherry Young: The trip of a lifetime to... 5
- America's moral obligation in the... 5
- Richard Norby released from hospital,... 4