"VOICE ACROSS TIME," by Linda Todd Bush, Covenant Communications, $16.99, 238 pages (f)
“Voice Across Time” is a heartwarming piece of LDS fiction. Though the storyline is stereotypical of Mormon culture, it is a creative book that is entertaining and inspirational for readers of any age.
The story begins by introducing readers to Abigail, a modern day real estate broker who lives in Colorado. Abigail is seriously involved with her lawyer boyfriend Scott. When he asks her to marry him, Abigail feels uncertain about their future together. In the meantime, Abigail’s grandmother passes away and somebody is needed to prepare her house for sale. Needing some space from her boyfriend, Abigail volunteers for the position, and takes off to St. George, Utah.
While she is living at her grandmother’s house, Abigail’s friends rekindle her faith in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. When Abigail is introduced to a young doctor named Blake Matthews, she becomes more confused about her former life and relationships. Abigail stumbles upon a wooden box that contains letters from her ancestors, which help her make difficult life decisions.
Dispersed throughout the novel are letters from Catherine Ann Moore, a young woman who lived in England in 1844. The letters describe her decision to leave her family and marry the man she loves. They illustrate the difficulty of joining the Mormons in Zion during that time. These letters help Abigail to decide what she considers important in life.
Although the book illustrates difficulties faced by many Latter-day Saints, the characters’ actions are exaggerated. The book could be a Mormon spoof such as “The R.M.” or “The Singles Ward” movies. The book is overly dramatic, making the story seem comical.
Despite these fallbacks, “Voice Across Time” is a worthy read. It is a reminder of what one should value and consider important in life.
Shelby Scoffield is a graduate of BYU and a master's student at Stanislaus State University
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Researching Family History: It's a day of a...
- LDS leaders picture quiz: Can you name that...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 66
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 46
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 38
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 29
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 25
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 15
- What would Jesus buy? New website helps... 13