Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
Vic So'oto arrived at BYU in 2005 as part of coach Bronco Mendenhall's first recruiting class. He was a tight end who moved to linebacker and then, finally, to defensive lineman during an injury-plagued career.
So'oto starred for the Cougar defense last year, but he wasn't selected in last April's NFL draft. He signed as an undrafted free agent with Green Bay and, based on So'oto's performance in the preseason, it appears he'll play a big role with the Packers, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.
"In the final two games, he notched 2½ sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception returned for a touchdown, sealing his place on the 53-man roster and marking him as a candidate to play against New Orleans in the season opener," writes Tom Silverstein. "The fact much of So'oto's work came against the opponents' starters says a lot about his legitimacy."
In other news:
Here's a story on new Ole Miss quarterback Barry Brunetti, who will lead the Rebels against BYU on Saturday.
Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds said efforts are being made to save the Big 12, but that the Longhorns' options are open.
Air Force is a team, along with BYU, that is on the Big 12's list as a possible expansion target, according to CBSSports.com.
Texas Tech's athletic director said the Big 12 is "nervous," now that Texas A&M is leaving the conference.
- BYU football: 10 players to buy stock in
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with...
- BYU football: 10 players poised for breakout...
- Graphic: What would happen if the Jazz match...
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match Gordon...
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to talk...
- Good first impression for Utah Jazz rookie...
- Options the Jazz should consider before...
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to... 265
- BYU-Utah rated nation's 12th-best... 111
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with... 63
- Brad Rock: What Gordon Hayward needs to... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Robert Anae likes... 28
- 4 Utah college football players named... 28
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt... 27
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match... 20