Investigators find boat that killed U. biologist who was swimming in Pineview
OGDEN — The Weber County Sheriff's Office has seized the boat they believe hit and killed a University of Utah researcher swimming in Pineview Reservoir.
One of the three men believed to have been on the boat has also given a statement of his account of what happened, according to the sheriff's office.
Esther Fujimoto, an avid swimmer and accomplished molecular biologist, was hit and killed by a boat Aug. 21 while swimming 200 to 300 feet offshore.
A witness from the shore told investigators he saw a blue and white boat with three men onboard who actually stopped and talked to Fujimoto after hitting her before driving off. Investigators have been looking for the boat and the men since the accident.
Weber County Sheriff's Lt. Mark Lowther said on Monday, detectives found the boat in the Ogden area. On Tuesday, one of the three men reportedly on board walked into the sheriff's office to give a statement.
Investigators say they know who the other two men are and have made contact with them, but as of 11:45 a.m. they had not been officially interviewed by detectives.
The name of the man who talked to the sheriff's office was not released. The boat was being held in the evidence garage of the Weber County Sheriff's Office.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 43
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29