Mike Terry, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — Packing up and moving isn't an easy task for James Dix.
He has roommates to think about — more than 400 of them.
Dix, who runs the nonprofit organization Reptile Rescue, is having to leave his home to make way for the Mountain View Corridor. Most of his neighbors' homes already have been torn down.
"It's not like you can just pack your stuff up in a box and move in 24 hours," Dix said. "We'd have fatalities on a lot of animals."
Kennecott has agreed to donate 10 acres of property in West Valley City to allow Dix to build a new sanctuary. But he needs permission from the city to move there.
Dix calls the decision "simple" and a "no-brainer."
The problem, city officials say, is with zoning. Currently, there are no laws on the books that deal with having so many animals. They say Dix's home has gone from being an animal rescue to a permanent shelter.
"The issue, of course, is the number of animals," said Paul Isaac, assistant city manager, "and we've sort of frankly been taken aback by the number of animals he has."
Dix met Monday with city and Utah Department of Transportation officials to discuss his options. One proposal would allow Dix to stay at the city's vacant animal shelter up to 90 days.
In the meantime, city officials say they will be working to expedite Dix's application for a conditional-use permit. All parties say they hope to have the issue resolved in the next few weeks.
- Video: How to choose the right helmet for...
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate legal...
- Body of missing hiker found above Alta
- Documents: Former teacher says he used to...
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald Trump...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Worthy of celebration: 99-year history of...
- Syracuse woman killed in Antelope Drive crash
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 33
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 32
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21