WEST VALLEY CITY — An ongoing dispute between neighbors over a laptop turned into what police described as a major brawl Sunday night.
"It was a huge, huge fight," said West Valley Police Sgt. Mike Powell.
Three men, all related, were arrested after investigators say an ongoing dispute with a neighbor culminated about 8:30 p.m. Sunday when the trio burst into the neighbor's apartment and a brawl ensued. At least one of the men was armed with a knife and the other a bat, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
"They entered the apartment and started fighting and slashing," Powell said.
The victim's girlfriend was also inside the apartment at the time. She became so scared when the men kicked in the door that she "feared for her life and broke out the front living room window and jumped out," the report states.
By the time it was over, all three men and the victim suffered some injuries. The victim was treated at a local hospital for lacerations across his face.
Gary Cross, 54, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of attempted murder and aggravated burglary. His son, Gary Cross Jr., 20, and his brother, Lamar Cross, 52, were each arrested for investigation of attempted murder and aggravated burglary.
In his jail booking mug shot, Lamar Cross is wearing a hospital gown and has a large band-aid across his neck.
Earlier this year, Gary Cross Sr. pleaded no contest to attempted damage of a jail and attempted assault by a prisoner, according to Utah state court records. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail.
Powell said the dispute was apparently over property that one party claimed the other had but wouldn't return.
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Deputy's suicide prompted Tooele school...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Cottonwood Heights mayor, residents unhappy...
- Roof, tower for Provo City Center Temple add...
- Utah too dependent on federal dollars, state...
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion budget
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 27
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 16
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 15
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15