WEST VALLEY CITY — An ongoing dispute between neighbors over a laptop turned into what police described as a major brawl Sunday night.
"It was a huge, huge fight," said West Valley Police Sgt. Mike Powell.
Three men, all related, were arrested after investigators say an ongoing dispute with a neighbor culminated about 8:30 p.m. Sunday when the trio burst into the neighbor's apartment and a brawl ensued. At least one of the men was armed with a knife and the other a bat, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
"They entered the apartment and started fighting and slashing," Powell said.
The victim's girlfriend was also inside the apartment at the time. She became so scared when the men kicked in the door that she "feared for her life and broke out the front living room window and jumped out," the report states.
By the time it was over, all three men and the victim suffered some injuries. The victim was treated at a local hospital for lacerations across his face.
Gary Cross, 54, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of attempted murder and aggravated burglary. His son, Gary Cross Jr., 20, and his brother, Lamar Cross, 52, were each arrested for investigation of attempted murder and aggravated burglary.
In his jail booking mug shot, Lamar Cross is wearing a hospital gown and has a large band-aid across his neck.
Earlier this year, Gary Cross Sr. pleaded no contest to attempted damage of a jail and attempted assault by a prisoner, according to Utah state court records. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail.
Powell said the dispute was apparently over property that one party claimed the other had but wouldn't return.
- Security, authorities detain woman...
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Police: More than 100 Sanpete County homes...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- 'I just can't say 'I'm sorry' enough': Woman...
- Chopper pilot set to retire after 46 years,...
- Police say man persuaded Provo High boys to...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 39
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 22
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 16
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 14