Shawn Emery, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — A 16-year-old boy was arrested early Monday after leading police on a high-speed chase around the Salt Lake Valley.
The incident began about 2:45 a.m. when a West Valley police officer pulled up next to a car stopped at a stop sign without its headlights on. The officer attempted to ask the young driver some questions through an open window, said West Valley Police Lt. Kent Stokes.
The boy's answers were "a little hinky," Stokes said, so the officer got out of his vehicle to talk to him. But as soon as the officer stepped out of his car, the boy sped away.
A chase ensued that lasted about 15 minutes, reached speeds of about 90 mph and made a loop around the valley. The teen went west on 3100 South, then south on the Bangerter Highway, west on state Route 111 and north on state Route 201. The pursuit finally came to an end when an officer performed a PIT maneuver, forcing the boy to abruptly turn sideways to the direction of travel, on the S.R. 201 off-ramp at 3200 West, Stokes said.
The boy got out of his car and tried to escape by running through a field but was quickly tracked down and caught by police.
The Utah Highway Patrol assisted in the pursuit. At one point, tire spikes were deployed but were unsuccessful in stopping the vehicle.
Investigators discovered the vehicle had been stolen recently from the area where the boy was first spotted. Police believe the boy also lives in that area.
He was booked Monday into juvenile detention for investigation of a number of charges.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Police say man murdered his mother in her...
- UTA offers fare for food in Utah Food Bank drive
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 33
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 12
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 11
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8