Provo Councilman Steve Turley appears in court, case moved
PROVO — A Provo city councilman facing numerous felony charges of fraud and exploitation had his case transferred to American Fork Friday, after a Provo-based judge removed herself from the case.
Steven C. Turley, 43, is charged with seven counts of communication fraud, two counts of exploitation of a vulnerable adult and one count of a pattern of unlawful activity, all second-degree felonies. The charges stem from business dealings spanning July 2006 and December 2009, during which Turley allegedly defrauded others for profit.
In a hearing Wednesday in 4th District Court, Judge Claudia Laycock removed herself from the case and assigned a separate judge to it. On Friday, court records show the case was moved to American Fork — where newly-assigned Judge Christine Johnson typically hears cases.
Among the individuals Turley is accused of swindling through bogus real estate deals and development plans is someone over 65-years-old and someone who is mentally disabled, charges state.
Turley has been on the Provo City Council for 7½ years. Despite calls for his resignation from Provo's mayor and Turley's fellow council members, he has not stepped down from his post. Instead, in July, he sent an email announcing he would take a "leave of absence," which is not an option under city code.
Turley's defense attorney, Brett Tolman, has said that his client denies the allegations against him.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26