Man arrested after punching, strangling woman as she arrived home
SALT LAKE CITY — A man who police say attacked a woman who had just arrived in her driveway, was arrested for investigation of attempted murder.
About 9:45 a.m. Tuesday, a 23-year-old woman had just arrived at her home, near 1900 South and 700 East. A man approached her as she was getting out of her car and said he wanted to talk to her, said Salt Lake Police Sgt. Shawn Josephson.
Instead, he punched her in the face without warning.
As the woman tried to get out of her vehicle to call 911, the man sat in the driver's seat with his legs still outside the vehicle, Josephson said. The woman then closed the door on his legs.
That prompted the man to get out of the car, punch the woman in the face again and start to strangle her, the sergeant said.
"(He) grabbed her throat with one hand and squeezed; with his other hand, he took her cellphone out of her hand and threw it over a neighbor's fence," according to a Salt Lake County Jail report. "He then grabbed her throat with two hands and forced her to the ground on her back."
The man pinned the victim by placing his knee on her chest with his full weight, jail records state. The woman screamed as best she could and told the man he could have her money.
"You are going to die! I am going to kill you," the man replied, according to jail documents.
Neighbors heard the woman's screams and came to her aid. Salt Lake police officers, who were nearby, were also called.
Daniel Pasca, 44, was contained by neighbors until police arrived. He was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of attempted murder. Josephson said Pasca is a transient who police have dealt with before, but never for something this serious.
Police do not believe the two know each other and are unsure about a motive for the crime.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Trial ordered for Springville coach accused...
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of...
- Man arrested after knocking down bay door,...
- Kearns woman sent to prison for running over...
- New center a 'triage unit' for front-line...
- Navajo man pleads guilty to killing another...
- Audit: Ex-employee embezzled $67K from Utah...
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10... 10
- Appellate court upholds water rights... 8
- Brother, sister hugged each other as... 8
- What effects do shootings have on... 4
- Prosecutors say Jeremy Johnson should... 4