Shara Park, Deseret News
SANDY — Police here didn't have to go far for their latest pot farm bust.
One man was arrested and investigators were looking for one more Wednesday after detectives busted a marijuana growing operation just a minute away from the Sandy Police Department.
About 100 plants, all between 3 and 5 feet tall and within a couple of weeks of harvesting, were discovered in a field located between the north end of South Towne Center and south of Sandy City Hall, along I-15.
The marijuana plants were found on private property, said Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold. The open field had weeds that were several feet high and was surrounded by trees, he said, making the plants hard to see.
After the property owner discovered the grow, he called police, who confirmed the plants were marijuana. Police set up surveillance on the plants for a couple of days to see if the people responsible would come back.
About 10 p.m. Tuesday, two men returned to the scene, Arnold said. They were carrying five-gallon water jugs into the area to water the plants, as well as more plants to add to the farm. All of the plants were in large rubber containers, he said.
Marc Parkin, 42, of Sandy, was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of selling marijuana in a drug-free zone, obstruction of justice, wildlife violations, failing to stop for an officer and drug paraphernalia.
Utah state court records show Parkin had drug-related charges filed against him in 3rd District Court in 2003 that were eventually dismissed. The search continued Wednesday for the second man.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Seeking social media 'likes' could cause...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 56
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17