Shara Park, Deseret News
SANDY — Police here didn't have to go far for their latest pot farm bust.
One man was arrested and investigators were looking for one more Wednesday after detectives busted a marijuana growing operation just a minute away from the Sandy Police Department.
About 100 plants, all between 3 and 5 feet tall and within a couple of weeks of harvesting, were discovered in a field located between the north end of South Towne Center and south of Sandy City Hall, along I-15.
The marijuana plants were found on private property, said Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold. The open field had weeds that were several feet high and was surrounded by trees, he said, making the plants hard to see.
After the property owner discovered the grow, he called police, who confirmed the plants were marijuana. Police set up surveillance on the plants for a couple of days to see if the people responsible would come back.
About 10 p.m. Tuesday, two men returned to the scene, Arnold said. They were carrying five-gallon water jugs into the area to water the plants, as well as more plants to add to the farm. All of the plants were in large rubber containers, he said.
Marc Parkin, 42, of Sandy, was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of selling marijuana in a drug-free zone, obstruction of justice, wildlife violations, failing to stop for an officer and drug paraphernalia.
Utah state court records show Parkin had drug-related charges filed against him in 3rd District Court in 2003 that were eventually dismissed. The search continued Wednesday for the second man.
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- Grantsville residents tell Prison Relocation...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 41
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 32
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 23
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 18
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 18
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17