Shara Park, Deseret News
SANDY — Police here didn't have to go far for their latest pot farm bust.
One man was arrested and investigators were looking for one more Wednesday after detectives busted a marijuana growing operation just a minute away from the Sandy Police Department.
About 100 plants, all between 3 and 5 feet tall and within a couple of weeks of harvesting, were discovered in a field located between the north end of South Towne Center and south of Sandy City Hall, along I-15.
The marijuana plants were found on private property, said Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold. The open field had weeds that were several feet high and was surrounded by trees, he said, making the plants hard to see.
After the property owner discovered the grow, he called police, who confirmed the plants were marijuana. Police set up surveillance on the plants for a couple of days to see if the people responsible would come back.
About 10 p.m. Tuesday, two men returned to the scene, Arnold said. They were carrying five-gallon water jugs into the area to water the plants, as well as more plants to add to the farm. All of the plants were in large rubber containers, he said.
Marc Parkin, 42, of Sandy, was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of selling marijuana in a drug-free zone, obstruction of justice, wildlife violations, failing to stop for an officer and drug paraphernalia.
Utah state court records show Parkin had drug-related charges filed against him in 3rd District Court in 2003 that were eventually dismissed. The search continued Wednesday for the second man.
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 61
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 47
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 21
- Utah high school students unprepared... 16
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15