Blue roundup: John Beck making a name for himself in D.C.
During his BYU career, quarterback John Beck dealt with plenty of adversity. But he endured and, in the end, he led the Cougars to an 11-2 season in 2006, capped by a dramatic, memorable victory over Utah and a dominating win over Oregon in the Las Vegas Bowl.
His NFL career has been marked with trials, bouncing from the Miami Dolphins to the Baltimore Ravens, then to the Washington Redskins.
But Beck, who is battling Rex Grossman for the starting job, appears to be hitting his stride in the nation's capital. Last weekend in a preseason game, Beck started and completed 14-of-17 passes for 140 yards in a 16-3 win over Indianapolis.
On Sunday, Beck celebrated his 30th birthday.
Washington Post columnist Mike Wise asks if Beck's saga is an inspirational story or a fairy tale. "The skeptic who has been writing about sports for 20-odd years, who has been trained to look at numbers and pedigrees and former employers before distilling conclusions, wonders deeply why this guy is playing on his third team in five years if he is genuinely starting-quarterback material," Wise writes.
Beck will face his former team, Baltimore, in a preseason game Thursday. Redskins coach Mike Shanahan is trying to choose a starter, either Beck or Grossman.
Meanwhile, Ole Miss, BYU's season-opening opponent, has had a couple of players run afoul of the law in recent days. First, tight end Jamal Mosley was arrested in charges of being drunk in public on Sunday, according to Oxfordcrimereport.com and the Clarion-Ledger. Then, on Monday, Rebel QB Randall Mackey was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct.
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 78
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14