SALINA — When Kanab and North Sevier meet on the football field it’s generally a lopsided affair in favor of the Cowboys, who have beaten the Wolves 35 times in 41 meetings, and Friday’s season opener was no different.
Kanab quarterback Branden Jensen threw for three touchdowns in leading the Cowboys to the 21-7 victory.
"We've got some things to work on, but it was a good first game,” said Kanab coach Bucky Orton.
After a scoreless first quarter, the Cowboys reeled off 21 straight points when Jensen hit Branden Nielson with a 3-yard touchdown pass to give the Cowboys the 7-0 lead at the break.
Jensen added second-half touchdown passes to Merrill Terry (28 yards) and Nielson (23 yards).
North Sevier quarterback Joey Edwards capped a 75-yard drive late in the fourth quarter with an 11-yard touchdown run.
The Cowboys had 239 yards total offense (157 rushing, 82 passing) and 12 first downs. North Sevier finished with 153 yards total offense (73 rushing, 80 passing) and 11 first downs.
The Cowboys will host Parowan Friday, while North Sevier travels to cross-county rival South Sevier.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 90
- High school football: 2016 schedules... 5
- Layton junior high wrestler loses... 3
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300... 3
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in... 3
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision... 1
- Skyridge High School 2016 football... 0
- Ridgeline High School 2016 football... 0