SALINA — When Kanab and North Sevier meet on the football field it’s generally a lopsided affair in favor of the Cowboys, who have beaten the Wolves 35 times in 41 meetings, and Friday’s season opener was no different.
Kanab quarterback Branden Jensen threw for three touchdowns in leading the Cowboys to the 21-7 victory.
"We've got some things to work on, but it was a good first game,” said Kanab coach Bucky Orton.
After a scoreless first quarter, the Cowboys reeled off 21 straight points when Jensen hit Branden Nielson with a 3-yard touchdown pass to give the Cowboys the 7-0 lead at the break.
Jensen added second-half touchdown passes to Merrill Terry (28 yards) and Nielson (23 yards).
North Sevier quarterback Joey Edwards capped a 75-yard drive late in the fourth quarter with an 11-yard touchdown run.
The Cowboys had 239 yards total offense (157 rushing, 82 passing) and 12 first downs. North Sevier finished with 153 yards total offense (73 rushing, 80 passing) and 11 first downs.
The Cowboys will host Parowan Friday, while North Sevier travels to cross-county rival South Sevier.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28