SALINA — When Kanab and North Sevier meet on the football field it’s generally a lopsided affair in favor of the Cowboys, who have beaten the Wolves 35 times in 41 meetings, and Friday’s season opener was no different.
Kanab quarterback Branden Jensen threw for three touchdowns in leading the Cowboys to the 21-7 victory.
"We've got some things to work on, but it was a good first game,” said Kanab coach Bucky Orton.
After a scoreless first quarter, the Cowboys reeled off 21 straight points when Jensen hit Branden Nielson with a 3-yard touchdown pass to give the Cowboys the 7-0 lead at the break.
Jensen added second-half touchdown passes to Merrill Terry (28 yards) and Nielson (23 yards).
North Sevier quarterback Joey Edwards capped a 75-yard drive late in the fourth quarter with an 11-yard touchdown run.
The Cowboys had 239 yards total offense (157 rushing, 82 passing) and 12 first downs. North Sevier finished with 153 yards total offense (73 rushing, 80 passing) and 11 first downs.
The Cowboys will host Parowan Friday, while North Sevier travels to cross-county rival South Sevier.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Deseret News Classic Marathon: Van de Camp,...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah State's Keeton getting Heisman hype
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 226
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 97
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 82
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 56
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 44
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26