High school football: Jordan edges Fremont in final seconds in KSL Game Night thriller
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SANDY — Jordan High’s Taylor Loomis caught a 25-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Austin Kafentzis with 1.5 seconds left in the game to lead the Beetdiggers to a 19-12 come-for-behind victory over 2010 Class 5A runner-up Fremont in prep football action Friday night.
Kafentzis threw the first of his three second-half touchdowns when he hooked up with Blake Miller from 27 yards outs to cut the lead to 12-6 at the end of three quarters.
In the fourth quarter, Kafentzis threw a 67-yard touchdown pass to Mason Gajkowski, but for the second time Fremont blocked the PAT, and the score was tied 12-12.
The Beetdiggers, however, completed the comeback when Kafentzis capped a 70-yard drive in the final minute with the game-winning strike to Loomis.
The game was the inaugural KSL SportsBeat Game Night game of the week with Rod Zundel and Jeremiah Jensen of KSL, and James Edward of Deseret News kicking off the football season on site and the KSL 5 helicopter overhead.
See Game Night highlights here.
The Beetdiggers (1-0) are back in action next Friday when they travel to Layton (1-0), while Fremont (0-1) hosts Brighton (0-0-1).
Matt is the Director of www.deseretconnect.com, where the community can submit articles, photos, and video for publishing on deseretnews.com and ksl.com.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 36
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 25