High school football: Jordan edges Fremont in final seconds in KSL Game Night thriller
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SANDY — Jordan High’s Taylor Loomis caught a 25-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Austin Kafentzis with 1.5 seconds left in the game to lead the Beetdiggers to a 19-12 come-for-behind victory over 2010 Class 5A runner-up Fremont in prep football action Friday night.
Kafentzis threw the first of his three second-half touchdowns when he hooked up with Blake Miller from 27 yards outs to cut the lead to 12-6 at the end of three quarters.
In the fourth quarter, Kafentzis threw a 67-yard touchdown pass to Mason Gajkowski, but for the second time Fremont blocked the PAT, and the score was tied 12-12.
The Beetdiggers, however, completed the comeback when Kafentzis capped a 70-yard drive in the final minute with the game-winning strike to Loomis.
The game was the inaugural KSL SportsBeat Game Night game of the week with Rod Zundel and Jeremiah Jensen of KSL, and James Edward of Deseret News kicking off the football season on site and the KSL 5 helicopter overhead.
See Game Night highlights here.
The Beetdiggers (1-0) are back in action next Friday when they travel to Layton (1-0), while Fremont (0-1) hosts Brighton (0-0-1).
Matt is the Director of www.deseretconnect.com, where the community can submit articles, photos, and video for publishing on deseretnews.com and ksl.com.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28