High school football: Jordan edges Fremont in final seconds in KSL Game Night thriller
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SANDY — Jordan High’s Taylor Loomis caught a 25-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Austin Kafentzis with 1.5 seconds left in the game to lead the Beetdiggers to a 19-12 come-for-behind victory over 2010 Class 5A runner-up Fremont in prep football action Friday night.
Kafentzis threw the first of his three second-half touchdowns when he hooked up with Blake Miller from 27 yards outs to cut the lead to 12-6 at the end of three quarters.
In the fourth quarter, Kafentzis threw a 67-yard touchdown pass to Mason Gajkowski, but for the second time Fremont blocked the PAT, and the score was tied 12-12.
The Beetdiggers, however, completed the comeback when Kafentzis capped a 70-yard drive in the final minute with the game-winning strike to Loomis.
The game was the inaugural KSL SportsBeat Game Night game of the week with Rod Zundel and Jeremiah Jensen of KSL, and James Edward of Deseret News kicking off the football season on site and the KSL 5 helicopter overhead.
See Game Night highlights here.
The Beetdiggers (1-0) are back in action next Friday when they travel to Layton (1-0), while Fremont (0-1) hosts Brighton (0-0-1).
Matt is the Director of www.deseretconnect.com, where the community can submit articles, photos, and video for publishing on deseretnews.com and ksl.com.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 48
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 45
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25