Provided by Gibbs Smith
Classic literature has gone baby-friendly.
The books are being marketed as a "fashionable way to introduce your toddler to the world of classic literature."
"I love the classics," said Jennifer Adams, author of the primers. "Austen and Shakespeare are my favorites, so my editor and I decided it would be fun to do something totally fresh with them to introduce babies to the classics."
"Little Miss Austen: Pride & Prejudice" and "Little Master Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet" integrate elements of the well-known stories while counting from one to 10.
"Little Miss Austen," for example, features two rich gentlemen, five Bennet sisters and Mr. Darcy's salary of 10 thousand pounds per year.
"Little Master Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet" incorporates a few of the more well-known lines from the play, such as "That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet," from Juliet's famous soliloquy.
Both books include some numerical representations — such as horses, ball gowns, musicians and masks — that are not necessarily unique to the classics, "Romeo & Juliet" more so than "Pride & Prejudice."
Alison Oliver's brightly colored illustrations set the scene of the classic works, which, Adams says, is the whole purpose.
"It will just give them a taste at the earliest age possible so they get familiar so the classics are even more approachable when they get to the age when they can read the real text," Adams said.
If you go...
What: Jennifer Adams book signing
When: Thursday, Sept. 1, 7 p.m.
Where: 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking end of...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- After disputes, Dem stars turn their...
- Corporate lawyers argue over whether Colbert...
- 'Pokemon Go' creators working to be...
- Photos: A Pioneer Day celebration of heritage...
- After disputes, Dem stars turn their... 14
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows... 3
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking... 3
- Corporate lawyers argue over whether... 1
- 'Pokemon Go' creators working to be... 1
- Heart-pounding 'Jason Bourne' makes the... 1
- Websites allow viewers, parents to... 1
- Athletes using sports platforms to push... 0