Provided by Gibbs Smith
Classic literature has gone baby-friendly.
The books are being marketed as a "fashionable way to introduce your toddler to the world of classic literature."
"I love the classics," said Jennifer Adams, author of the primers. "Austen and Shakespeare are my favorites, so my editor and I decided it would be fun to do something totally fresh with them to introduce babies to the classics."
"Little Miss Austen: Pride & Prejudice" and "Little Master Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet" integrate elements of the well-known stories while counting from one to 10.
"Little Miss Austen," for example, features two rich gentlemen, five Bennet sisters and Mr. Darcy's salary of 10 thousand pounds per year.
"Little Master Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet" incorporates a few of the more well-known lines from the play, such as "That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet," from Juliet's famous soliloquy.
Both books include some numerical representations — such as horses, ball gowns, musicians and masks — that are not necessarily unique to the classics, "Romeo & Juliet" more so than "Pride & Prejudice."
Alison Oliver's brightly colored illustrations set the scene of the classic works, which, Adams says, is the whole purpose.
"It will just give them a taste at the earliest age possible so they get familiar so the classics are even more approachable when they get to the age when they can read the real text," Adams said.
If you go...
What: Jennifer Adams book signing
When: Thursday, Sept. 1, 7 p.m.
Where: 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
- National Spelling Bee co-champions include...
- Utahn on 'Survivor-'themed 'Price is Right'...
- Movie review: Beckinsale showcases classic...
- Chris Hicks: Gear up for Memorial Day by...
- 'Odysseo' extends stay in Utah to June 13
- A black-and-white, sometimes Technicolor...
- Why would anyone want to keep up with the...
- Video game review: 'Star Fox Zero' is a fun...
- Movie review: Overstuffed 'X-Men:... 2
- Chris Hicks: Gear up for Memorial Day... 1
- National Spelling Bee co-champions... 0
- Utahn on 'Survivor-'themed 'Price is... 0
- Movie review: Beckinsale showcases... 0
- 'Odysseo' extends stay in Utah to June 13 0
- A black-and-white, sometimes... 0
- Why would anyone want to keep up with... 0