What designates a location as a holy place?
In an article for the Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman in Wasilla, Alaska, Pastor Howard Bess discusses the definition of sacred spots and how they become holy. As an example, he wrote, “It is difficult to imagine Roman Catholics without the Vatican with its St. Peter’s Cathedral or Latter-day Saints without the Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City.
“In my work as a pastor I concluded that the needs of most people cannot be addressed until they have a place,” Bess wrote. “Place is a key ingredient in becoming a whole person.”
One thing that Mormons have in common with Muslims is an appreciation for fasting. Kevin Barney of the Chicago Tribune recently wrote a blog expressing admiration for the fast undertaken by Muslims during the holy month of Ramadan.
On the first Sunday of each month, Barney said, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints fast for about 24 hours (skipping two meals) as a community and offer special prayers for certain purposes. Money saved from not eating those two meals is given as a “fast offering” for the poor.
“Having that experience on a small scale with religious fasting and experience the self-control and spiritual discipline that derives from the practice,” Barney wrote, “it is easy for me to admire the more rigorous fasting practices that accompany Ramadan for Muslims.”
A first edition 1830 copy of the Book of Mormon is expected to sell for more than $80,000 in a Sept. 12 California auction.
In addition to the Book or Mormon, artdaily.org is reporting a rare 1782 copy of the Aitken Bible, the first Bible printed in English in America, will also be on the auction block at Heritage’s Beverly Hills showroom. Other noteworthy items include works by Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- 14 surprising, heartwarming videos of LDS...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir members react to...
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy Scout...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 260
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 38
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 26
- The spiritual side effects of viewing... 25
- Religious groups react to Boy... 24
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 18
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces first... 14
- ... 8