What designates a location as a holy place?
In an article for the Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman in Wasilla, Alaska, Pastor Howard Bess discusses the definition of sacred spots and how they become holy. As an example, he wrote, “It is difficult to imagine Roman Catholics without the Vatican with its St. Peter’s Cathedral or Latter-day Saints without the Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City.
“In my work as a pastor I concluded that the needs of most people cannot be addressed until they have a place,” Bess wrote. “Place is a key ingredient in becoming a whole person.”
One thing that Mormons have in common with Muslims is an appreciation for fasting. Kevin Barney of the Chicago Tribune recently wrote a blog expressing admiration for the fast undertaken by Muslims during the holy month of Ramadan.
On the first Sunday of each month, Barney said, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints fast for about 24 hours (skipping two meals) as a community and offer special prayers for certain purposes. Money saved from not eating those two meals is given as a “fast offering” for the poor.
“Having that experience on a small scale with religious fasting and experience the self-control and spiritual discipline that derives from the practice,” Barney wrote, “it is easy for me to admire the more rigorous fasting practices that accompany Ramadan for Muslims.”
A first edition 1830 copy of the Book of Mormon is expected to sell for more than $80,000 in a Sept. 12 California auction.
In addition to the Book or Mormon, artdaily.org is reporting a rare 1782 copy of the Aitken Bible, the first Bible printed in English in America, will also be on the auction block at Heritage’s Beverly Hills showroom. Other noteworthy items include works by Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- LDS leaders announce new teaching manual,...
- Would BYU honor code be better with an...
- LDS leader speaks to young adults about...
- Elder and Sister Renlund speak during BYU...
- Why pray? Different faiths are united over...
- Music and the Spoken Word: The time to prepare
- Sister Linda K. Burton speaks at BYU Women's...
- One year ago, founding member of SEAL Team...
- Would BYU honor code be better with an... 93
- ... 41
- LDS leader speaks to young adults about... 35
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 32
- LDS leaders announce new teaching... 26
- Why pray? Different faiths are united... 14
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to... 12
- The positive role religion plays in... 8