Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO — By going independent, BYU is doing something bold.
The Cougars have embraced their new role, according to this article on ESPN.com.
"The signs are all over the football office, a new mantra for a new BYU world: Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare . . . BYU AD Tom Holmoe says the main impetus for BYU's move was TV," writes Andrea Adelson. "It is a bold statement for a university making one of the boldest moves in recent college football history. The Cougars are bucking convention and going independent, joining Notre Dame, Army and Navy as the only loners in the sport. Everybody in Provo understands the risk. But no grand plans are laid without taking a gamble and relying on just a little bit of faith. Does BYU know where it will stand five years from now? No. Does anyone in college football? No. So BYU is doing what is best for BYU and essentially banking on itself to make this work."
Adelson quotes quarterback Jake Heaps: "Impossible is a big word thrown around by small men. We truly believe that. If you tell us it's impossible we're going to do it. It's going to happen. We don't know when but it's going to happen, and it's going to happen sooner than later. That's our goal. That's what we're shooting for. It might take us a while. It might not be this year but we're shooting for a BCS game. We're shooting to have that opportunity. We dare anybody to say that we can't."
On other fronts ...
One of BYU's opponents this season, Central Florida, could be in trouble with the NCAA. The school received an official notice of inquiry from the NCAA regarding potential recruiting violations.
Meanwhile, here's an update on former BYU quarterback John Beck, who is vying to be the starter for the Washington Redskins, in this blog in the Washington Post.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 106
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27