Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO — By going independent, BYU is doing something bold.
The Cougars have embraced their new role, according to this article on ESPN.com.
"The signs are all over the football office, a new mantra for a new BYU world: Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare . . . BYU AD Tom Holmoe says the main impetus for BYU's move was TV," writes Andrea Adelson. "It is a bold statement for a university making one of the boldest moves in recent college football history. The Cougars are bucking convention and going independent, joining Notre Dame, Army and Navy as the only loners in the sport. Everybody in Provo understands the risk. But no grand plans are laid without taking a gamble and relying on just a little bit of faith. Does BYU know where it will stand five years from now? No. Does anyone in college football? No. So BYU is doing what is best for BYU and essentially banking on itself to make this work."
Adelson quotes quarterback Jake Heaps: "Impossible is a big word thrown around by small men. We truly believe that. If you tell us it's impossible we're going to do it. It's going to happen. We don't know when but it's going to happen, and it's going to happen sooner than later. That's our goal. That's what we're shooting for. It might take us a while. It might not be this year but we're shooting for a BCS game. We're shooting to have that opportunity. We dare anybody to say that we can't."
On other fronts ...
One of BYU's opponents this season, Central Florida, could be in trouble with the NCAA. The school received an official notice of inquiry from the NCAA regarding potential recruiting violations.
Meanwhile, here's an update on former BYU quarterback John Beck, who is vying to be the starter for the Washington Redskins, in this blog in the Washington Post.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37