PROVO — On the day, nearly one year ago, that BYU announced its football team would be going independent in 2011, it also announced a six-game series with the most successful independent program, Notre Dame.
It makes sense, since the two schools have numerous things in common. The other two independent teams are Army and Navy.
In this ESPN.com article, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick offers advice to BYU as it embarks on its first year of independence.
"The biggest thing is you really have to embrace it," Swarbrick said. "Schedule nationally and distribute your media broadly. Take full advantage of it. You need something that distinguishes you. You also need that core element of holding fan interest and having a really cohesive fan base, and that thing has to span geography. Religion does that, and so does military affiliation."
Writes ESPN.com's Brian Bennett: "Swarbrick said he thinks BYU has everything in place, especially with its own TV network and an ESPN deal. But even though there has been speculation that Texas might try the independent route, Swarbrick doesn't expect much more company on Notre Dame's island.
"We could see another team or two," he said. "But I don't think we'll see a lot of it because of the emerging power of conferences."
ESPN.com also has a story on the relationship between BYU quarterback Jake Heaps and offensive coordinator Brandon Doman.
"Doman is implementing an offense that should hearken back to the days when he played from 1998 to 2001," writes Andrea Adelson. "Not so much spread, but more a version of the West Coast offense, there will be some noticeable differences. Heaps will be dropping back to pass from center, a new development for a shotgun-style quarterback."
USA Today breaks down the risks and rewards of BYU going independent.
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory over...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 38
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 19