Dawn Villella, Associated Press
A Virginia school board has removed a book from a sixth-grade reading list after receiving complaint that it is derogatory toward Mormons.
“This is our young students’ first inaccurate introduction to an American religion,” Brette Stevenson, the mother who originally challenged the book, said to the board, according to The Daily Progress.
USA Today also reported the story, including an excerpt from the novel in question, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "A Study in Scarlet."
In other news, Mitt Romney's charitable donations are under scrutiny. According to The Huffington Post, as part of a series it is running on Republican presidential candidates' charitable donations, about 74 percent of donations from Romney's charitable foundation have gone to the LDS Church, not including tithing.
Andrew Sullivan of The Daily Beast is also examining Romney, but he's examining his "weirdness," a characteristic brought up by members of Obama's campaign and, recently, Russ Douthat of The New York Times. While Douthat suggests Democrats will focus on Romney's religion as his "weirdness," Sullivan's response asserts that it may just be his personality.
Other members who aren't normally spotlighted for their religion have made their local news recently.
Adam Johnson of Baraboo, Wis., was featured in the Baraboo News Republic after having returned from a full-time mission in Chile.
Charity Badger, a Mandeville, La., native, made the St. Tammany Slidell Sentry/News Banner News after being called to the Nevada Las Vegas West Mission.
The Camarillo 5th Ward Relief Society in Camarillo, Calif., made blankets and gave supplies to a county shelter for abused children, according to the Camarillo Acorn.
- Text of Obama's speech at Hiroshima Peace...
- Parishioners hold last service at church...
- Why the University of Miami plans to hire a...
- 'An answer to many prayers': Hong Kong China...
- Sherry Young: The trip of a lifetime to the...
- BYU's Ty Detmer discusses prayer, conversion,...
- President Uchtdorf visits Europe, returns to...
- President Uchtdorf recalls being a refugee,...
- Defending the Faith: Book of Mormon... 56
- Why the University of Miami plans to... 45
- Elizabeth Smart picks BYU rape response... 37
- First-edition Book of Mormon to be part... 16
- BYU's Ty Detmer discusses prayer,... 12
- 'An answer to many prayers': Hong Kong... 6
- Sherry Young: The trip of a lifetime to... 5
- America's moral obligation in the... 5