Dawn Villella, Associated Press
A Virginia school board has removed a book from a sixth-grade reading list after receiving complaint that it is derogatory toward Mormons.
“This is our young students’ first inaccurate introduction to an American religion,” Brette Stevenson, the mother who originally challenged the book, said to the board, according to The Daily Progress.
USA Today also reported the story, including an excerpt from the novel in question, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "A Study in Scarlet."
In other news, Mitt Romney's charitable donations are under scrutiny. According to The Huffington Post, as part of a series it is running on Republican presidential candidates' charitable donations, about 74 percent of donations from Romney's charitable foundation have gone to the LDS Church, not including tithing.
Andrew Sullivan of The Daily Beast is also examining Romney, but he's examining his "weirdness," a characteristic brought up by members of Obama's campaign and, recently, Russ Douthat of The New York Times. While Douthat suggests Democrats will focus on Romney's religion as his "weirdness," Sullivan's response asserts that it may just be his personality.
Other members who aren't normally spotlighted for their religion have made their local news recently.
Adam Johnson of Baraboo, Wis., was featured in the Baraboo News Republic after having returned from a full-time mission in Chile.
Charity Badger, a Mandeville, La., native, made the St. Tammany Slidell Sentry/News Banner News after being called to the Nevada Las Vegas West Mission.
The Camarillo 5th Ward Relief Society in Camarillo, Calif., made blankets and gave supplies to a county shelter for abused children, according to the Camarillo Acorn.
- LDS Church leaders release letter about...
- What the LDS Church said about the Supreme...
- First Presidency sends letter with counsel...
- Nate Sharp: 'Miraculous events' led to...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Tabernacle Choir performs in the rain near...
- 3 religions, 3 approaches to forgiveness in...
- Memorable sermons from LDS leaders in fewer...
- What the LDS Church said about the... 178
- When Satan steals your motherhood 70
- Religious leaders ponder next steps... 59
- Experts: Decision raises religious... 52
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 40
- Where were the Twelve Apostles when... 34
- First Presidency sends letter with... 9
- Washington Cathedral dean on... 8