SALT LAKE CITY — Former BYU quarterback Ty Detmer trusted Kurt Barton, so much so that the 1990 Heisman Trophy winner invested $2 million with Barton, who headed up Triton Financial.
But now Barton is on trial, accused of fleecing Detmer and hundreds of other investors as part of a $50 million ponzi scheme.
"Detmer, who first invested with the company in 2005 and later became a Triton employee, broke down on the witness stand again while prosecutors played for the jury a video in which Detmer was among former Heisman Trophy winners pitching Triton investments as solid, low-risk places for athletes to put their money," according to the Austin American-Statesman.
In other news ...
BYU's season-opening opponent, Ole Miss, is still trying to identify its starting quarterback. None has stood out to this point in the Rebels' fall camp.
Here's an update on former BYU superstar Jimmer Fredette, according to the Saratogian in New York. Fredette, who has no plans to play in Europe during the NBA lockout, is in Provo working out with former Cougar teammates. Fredette was a first-round pick of the Sacramento Kings in June.
“There’s no sense going to Sacramento and renting a place for the next three or four months if you’re not going to be using it,” Jimmer’s father Al Fredette said. “He’s got some endorsements and things, but he’s not making tons of money, so he’s got to be careful about his money. For now he’s in Provo. A guy out there is letting him stay in his house. Plus, he’s got a place to work out.”
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48