Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love exploring run for Congress
SARATOGA SPRINGS — Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love has set her sights on a bid for Congress.
The first-term mayor has formed an exploratory committee and recently traveled to Washington, D.C., where she met with Sens. Orrin Hatch and Mike Lee, the National Republican Congressional Committee, Americans for Tax Reform and FreedomWorks.
"It was really positive," she said. "I came back encouraged."
Love said she won't make a decision until after the Utah Legislature redraws congressional boundaries, a task it will complete in September or October. She could end up in the 2nd, 3rd or new 4th Congressional District depending on how lawmakers draw the lines.
Meantime, she will see what kind of support she can muster and look at fundraising.
"I really want to join in the fight for fiscal discipline, small government and personal responsibility," she said, adding she cannot stand by as her children are left with a legacy of debt and dependency.
Love and her husband, Jason, are the parents of three children ages 12, 8 and 4. "Someone has to fight for them, for all American children," she said.
Love served six years on the Saratoga Springs City Council before being elected mayor in November 2009. She was born in New York City and raised in Connecticut where she attended the University of Hartford.
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 60
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 45
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 21
- Utah high school students unprepared... 15
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15