Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love exploring run for Congress
SARATOGA SPRINGS — Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love has set her sights on a bid for Congress.
The first-term mayor has formed an exploratory committee and recently traveled to Washington, D.C., where she met with Sens. Orrin Hatch and Mike Lee, the National Republican Congressional Committee, Americans for Tax Reform and FreedomWorks.
"It was really positive," she said. "I came back encouraged."
Love said she won't make a decision until after the Utah Legislature redraws congressional boundaries, a task it will complete in September or October. She could end up in the 2nd, 3rd or new 4th Congressional District depending on how lawmakers draw the lines.
Meantime, she will see what kind of support she can muster and look at fundraising.
"I really want to join in the fight for fiscal discipline, small government and personal responsibility," she said, adding she cannot stand by as her children are left with a legacy of debt and dependency.
Love and her husband, Jason, are the parents of three children ages 12, 8 and 4. "Someone has to fight for them, for all American children," she said.
Love served six years on the Saratoga Springs City Council before being elected mayor in November 2009. She was born in New York City and raised in Connecticut where she attended the University of Hartford.
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Utah's congressional delegation... 71
- BYU makes clear there are 3 exceptions... 63
- Romney says climate change presents a... 34
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 24
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18