Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love exploring run for Congress
SARATOGA SPRINGS — Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love has set her sights on a bid for Congress.
The first-term mayor has formed an exploratory committee and recently traveled to Washington, D.C., where she met with Sens. Orrin Hatch and Mike Lee, the National Republican Congressional Committee, Americans for Tax Reform and FreedomWorks.
"It was really positive," she said. "I came back encouraged."
Love said she won't make a decision until after the Utah Legislature redraws congressional boundaries, a task it will complete in September or October. She could end up in the 2nd, 3rd or new 4th Congressional District depending on how lawmakers draw the lines.
Meantime, she will see what kind of support she can muster and look at fundraising.
"I really want to join in the fight for fiscal discipline, small government and personal responsibility," she said, adding she cannot stand by as her children are left with a legacy of debt and dependency.
Love and her husband, Jason, are the parents of three children ages 12, 8 and 4. "Someone has to fight for them, for all American children," she said.
Love served six years on the Saratoga Springs City Council before being elected mayor in November 2009. She was born in New York City and raised in Connecticut where she attended the University of Hartford.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Former Ute, NFL player brings holiday cheer...
- Two arrested in SLC homicide investigation
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- Four being questioned in attempted murder of...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 94
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 20
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 13
- Regulators, groups eye EPA rule on coal... 11