OGDEN — A 13-year-old boy on a bicycle suffered non life-threatening injuries Monday night when he was hit by a police officer's patrol car.
An Ogden police officer was stopped at a red light at 7th Street and Washington. At about 7:10 p.m. the light turned green for the officer, but a 13-year-old boy on a bike still tried to hurry across the street, said Ogden Police Lt. Eric Young.
The boy was bumped by the police car. He appeared to suffer mainly scrapes but was transported to the McKay-Dee Hospital as a precaution, Young said.
The officer was transporting a person to jail at the time of the accident. Another officer was called to finish taking the man to jail.
The officer involved in the accident was "a little shook up," Young said. "It was a little emotionally trying."
After going through a set of protocol steps, the officer was put back on active duty late Monday night. An independent investigation of the accident will be conducted by the Utah Highway Patrol.
Young said there initially appeared to be other cars on the road that partially obstructed the officer's view of the sidewalk.
— Pat Reavy
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- What to do after the presents are opened?...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 125
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 12
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9