Jeffrey D. Allred, Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
BIG COTTONWOOD CANYON — A 54-year-old West Valley City man was killed Sunday during a hiking accident, police say.
Jose Hernandez had been picnicking with between 15 and 20 family members at the Ledgemere picnic area about three miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon. About 10:45 a.m., he decided to go for a hike alone, said Unified Police Lt. Jake Petersen.
"He was hiking in a pretty treacherous area — really steep, with a lot of cliffs and loose rock," Petersen said.
When Hernandez didn't return after about 45 minutes, family members went looking for him. They discovered that he'd fallen several feet and wasn't moving.
Salt Lake County Search and Rescue crews were able to hike to Hernandez's location. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police aren't sure how far Hernandez fell. He had not been using any climbing or safety equipment, Petersen said.
"This was a terrible, terrible accident," he said. "Our hearts go out to the family."
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 39
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 23
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 15