Jeffrey D. Allred, Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
BIG COTTONWOOD CANYON — A 54-year-old West Valley City man was killed Sunday during a hiking accident, police say.
Jose Hernandez had been picnicking with between 15 and 20 family members at the Ledgemere picnic area about three miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon. About 10:45 a.m., he decided to go for a hike alone, said Unified Police Lt. Jake Petersen.
"He was hiking in a pretty treacherous area — really steep, with a lot of cliffs and loose rock," Petersen said.
When Hernandez didn't return after about 45 minutes, family members went looking for him. They discovered that he'd fallen several feet and wasn't moving.
Salt Lake County Search and Rescue crews were able to hike to Hernandez's location. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police aren't sure how far Hernandez fell. He had not been using any climbing or safety equipment, Petersen said.
"This was a terrible, terrible accident," he said. "Our hearts go out to the family."
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson, but...
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 131
- Rally in support of police also draws... 39
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 22
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 19
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9
- Death of South Jordan man in shootout... 8