Jeffrey D. Allred, Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
BIG COTTONWOOD CANYON — A 54-year-old West Valley City man was killed Sunday during a hiking accident, police say.
Jose Hernandez had been picnicking with between 15 and 20 family members at the Ledgemere picnic area about three miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon. About 10:45 a.m., he decided to go for a hike alone, said Unified Police Lt. Jake Petersen.
"He was hiking in a pretty treacherous area — really steep, with a lot of cliffs and loose rock," Petersen said.
When Hernandez didn't return after about 45 minutes, family members went looking for him. They discovered that he'd fallen several feet and wasn't moving.
Salt Lake County Search and Rescue crews were able to hike to Hernandez's location. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police aren't sure how far Hernandez fell. He had not been using any climbing or safety equipment, Petersen said.
"This was a terrible, terrible accident," he said. "Our hearts go out to the family."
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 25
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 21
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 16